Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need an athlon 64 fx card and mobo for $500 or less
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:59 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Hey all, I just got the new Xaser 3 case 1000a (which rocks). However, one too many installs of my fx card (AIW 9600 pro) his has died, and taken my motherboards agp port with it. I have gotten other motherboards to work fine in the case, just not with my fx card =(, so I know its not the case. Anyways, I had an MSI-KT6 LSR and an athlon xp 2500. I figure I want to get myself a decent fx card now, and I was looking at getting a higher end mobo for my xp proc and getting the ASUS 9800 XT, which looks like it rules. So a decent mobo for 100 bucks and near 400 for the ASUS card, im wondering, since PCI express technology looks a bit cheaper than agp these days, if I can get an athlon 64, probably a 6600gt card (or the ATI equivalent) and a mobo for around the same price? And even if we can get it around the same price, will it beat the ASUS 9800 XT fx card ? Thanks =)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:45 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok so at zipzoomfly (since they have free 2nd day air right now!!!) for 496$ I have an ATI 256 meg X700 pci express FX card, a 939 socket athlon 64 xp3000, and a DFI lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard. Does this sound like a decent setup for just about 500$?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:55 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Actually I changed my mind on the mobo, I now have it as the Gigabyte GA-K8NF, which is comparable to the DFI, but in the reviews at newegg, alot of people say the Gigabyte is super easy to install (i just want no friggen hassles right now), whereas the DFI, alot of people say rocks, but have problems with installation. So now my Zipzoomfly price is $468. What do you think........is the X700 and the 6600 better than eachother at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:56 am 
Willamette
Willamette

DFI boards are for people who want very detailed options about OC'ing. If you want a simple setup and don't care about maximizing what you have, then you are fine with any other board.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:07 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Cool thanks =). Is there any boards out there more user friendly than the Gigabyte boards? Or is that a pretty good one? I have a serial ATA hard drive, and I don't want to have to break out my floppy drive lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:58 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Well, you are going to need your Floppy Drive if you are going to install WinXP on a virgin hard drive. Since XP doesn't support SATA, you would need to get the SATA updates from the manufacturer's website and download them via Floppy. WinXP will ask you to load those drivers when prepared to. Unless you want to do that this way

I've heard that MSI and ASUS boards are fairly user friendly. You should be fine with the Gigabyte as well.