Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What to choose
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:10 am 
Klamath
Klamath

Well its time for me to build another pc, this time I need help with a few parts. I want to go Intel this time, tell me what u think. I want this pc to last a long time so what parts do u think is the best way to go? Well be use for things like gaming, internet, and other stuff. Limit is 2500, maybe a little bit more, but I would like to use some of the money for the 2405 and save some of the rest.

I may go with the 3.2-3.4-3.6(6xx), not sure.
P5AD2-E Premium or Deluxe, Why?
WD740GD 74GB
GPU, well be getting the new Next gen. cards
Not sure about ram
Maybe a Neopower or SilenX Luxurae, not too sure like the ram.
Not sure about drive, maybe the Sony 720.
Maybe a TJ03 or that new one from Antec

I plan to use the CNPS7700 for a cpu fan.

Sorry its kinda late and I need to build this pc soon.
Thxs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:28 am 
Northwood
Northwood

the neopower from antec is a great power supply and recommend it. the Asus P5D2-Premium is a good board if you want good stability and awesome performance.

ram go with brands such as crucial, kingston, corsair, mushkin, patriot, and ocz. you can go check out asus's website and see if they have a list of what memory will work with the mobo.

i recommend getting two hdds if you can fit it on your budget. the raptor should be primary for your o/s and the other hdd for your programs, files, etc.etc.etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:19 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Forget the Raptors. Too little of space and they heat up too much. Get the Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA drive w/ 16MB buffer. Runs just as well as a Raptor without the excess.

For PSU, get something that is at least PCI-E compatible with a 24 pin connector. The NeoPower is a good example. OCZ makes a good one as well. If you want the best, get the PC Power and Cooling 510 PCI-E.

RAM, just get Corsair or Kingston.

DVD burner, I recommend Plextor PX-716. Great firmware updates!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:19 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I have heard good things about the Asus boards, but isn't the E version newer and better?

As for HD, I don't really use that much space, but would the DiamondMax be as quick as the Raptor?

Well because I want this pc to last sometime, I well also be buying a dvd-rom. The 3 that seems to be the best for the burner is the NEC 3500, Sony 720, and the Plextor PX-716. Which one should I go with for long lasting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:38 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Eh, I'm not that familiar with Intel boards. It may be because one has PCI-E or one has SLI, or a RAID, Gigabit Ethernet, etc...

The DiamondMax is just as good and fast as the Raptors from some reviews. Most reviews I read say that they see minimal differences between the 10,000 RPM compared to 7,200 RPM. Then again, there are those who say there is a huge difference. I personally don't see much of a difference other than stuff maybe loading 3 seconds faster?

Are you buying a DVD-ROM along with a DVD burner? If so, then that's actually the best way of making a copy of another disc. Sony has one of the better DVD-ROM drives since it picks up more detail in the DVDs.

As far as the burners, the majority of them are pretty good: NEC, Sony, Lite-On, LG. For the best, I have to stick with Plextor. Plenty of features to make sure you get no more CD/DVD coasters. The only 8MB buffer DVD burner and great support/firmware updates (the current firmware update allows you to burn Dual Layer DVDs at 6x!). Plenty of options to tweak the burner using PlexTools. They are coming out with a slot loading DVD burner in the month; I forget the name of it though. Just don't use the burning software that comes with it. the version of Roxio they bundle with it is outdated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:03 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

if you dont need 64 bit, go for the 500 series, it's a lot cheaper.
If you're using it for games and non stressful purposes, why the Intel? just wanna try it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:06 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I think I well go with the E version, do to the fact that its newer :D

As for the drive, yes I plan on buying 2 drives. I know that if I buy another drive I can burn dvd froms but also can make it so that they both last later.

I have the raptor and its alot faster then the 7200 but not sure if the extra 8mb on the Diamond well be close. I notice that defrag and stuff are alot quicker, so would the Diamond be the same and would it be more likely to have more errors like data lose?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:20 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Really, all hard drives whether it's the Raptor, MaxDiamond, or Barracuda are suspect to data loss. They are pretty reliable though 95% of the time (of course there will always be a bad hard drive in any batch). I have a MaxDiamond 10 and I haven't experienced any problems with it. The other main thing is the price difference between the Raptor and the MaxDiamond. ZipZoomFly has the 250GB model for $155. That's a good GB to dollar ratio. Last I remember, the price for a Raptor 74GB was $170 something (correct me if I am wrong, please). I know you said you have a large budget, but there's nothing wrong with saving some money in one area and getting say a more expensive graphics card or better PSU, case, etc...

Both those DVD drives I mentioned in my last post are sure to last you quite some time. Again, based on reviews and my opinion, I feel they are top of the line equipment on the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:03 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

I would get the 5xx if it wasn't for the 64bit, due to the fact that I want this pc to last for some time and I also want to be 64bit ready. So the key is long lasting. The reason why I want Intel is because I ran into more problem on the AMD platform and don't want to deal with it again, but im happy to saw that I fix most of the problem, now I only have to see if it can run games.

Saving not anything is always great because I can then spend that extra on other stuff like paintball stuff, new monitor, games, etc.

Thxs alot, looks like I may get the Diamond and yes the Raptor is in the 170.