Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: seeking advice on building a media server
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:36 am 

I have decided to build a server to stream audio(MP3s, etc) and Movies(DVD, XviD, etc). I was thinking it'd also be nice to record TV for later playback (a la tivo). I have been looking for info on the -Link DSM-320 as a sorta proxy to the TV and stereo.

First off I want suggestions on OS, I'd rather go with a linux solution, but I don't know if that is even possible to connect the DSM-320 to a linux box. I also don't know what distro to go with that'd meet all my needs.

Secondly which processor to go with. I have always been an Intel kinda guy, but have seriouly considered an AMD solution. whether it should be a 64-bit processor or not. Which affects which mobo to go with( I'd prefer a gigabyte or asus), and in turn how much memory it would need. I know I do want large SATA HDs, thinking 2 WD or Samsung 200GB hard drives striped raid array.

I really have no clue about TV tuner devices. At least a PCI card or USB 2.0 solution. Not all that excited about ATI, I had one for my XP home machine and I could *never* get it to record anything.

I don't plan on having a monitor, keyboard, or mouse hooked up to it after its all been configured. I plan on using an antec sonata mid tower case and some addtional fans for heat contol.

Thanx
met00

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:08 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

For hard drives, the sweet spot right now is 250 gigs. Best price/gigabyte ratio.

For TV tuners my leadtek winfast 2000 XP is *ok* but nothing special. I've heard good things about the ATI chipsets. If you couldnt get it to record anything then you must have misconfigured the software.

As for OS you can get linux to play nice with windows networks Via Samba.