Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:08 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

Chumly wrote:

Like the drinking stuff?? LOL...I never even thought about that. Hey, it's worth a shot. I don't have anything to measure Ph here, but I see pond supply stores are offering kits for about $16. I WILL want to try this thought! Next rig is undecided between CC tubes or placed LED's, so I may need to start watching this.

And I forgot all about general CC tubes. I have a UV rig and not a colored CC unit, so that may be a reason why I'm running clean.

And as far as corrosion, the WW stuff has inhibitors to prevent the bi-metallic corrosion.

So, that article posted above in this thread is one of the best OC focused articles I have seen. The author was thurogh and I only found one error (a bad pH measurement - minor). You should check it out.

I was very surprised when I looked and found AquaFina as the best readily available drinking water based on TDS (it has 110) and then the article says the same (if he used drinking water).

He recommends Distilled water (DS not DI) and I would have to agree. Most distilled water has slightly better pH and if its steam distilled it has been demineralized (for the most part). I should have thought about that. Most of the water you buy at the store is DS. Since it seems folks are going to add stuff to it anyways, I don't see the benefit of the added TDS in AquaFina (and it costs more). I was surprised to see such a high pH for the WW + Water he got. I bet its closer to 8.2 (a standard buffered pH IIRC). Either way, that's great for corrosion control. His DI water pH measure is wrong, but its common for DI pH to give bad numbers. Good DI is so clean and unbuffered that the contaminates on the pH electrode will change the pH in the sample (unless you use a huge volume). His real reading should have been 5.5 - 6.5, certainly less than 7. Rain water has a pH of less than 7.

Anyways, very interesting article. I will go thank whoever posted it.

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:10 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

JAFAH5150 wrote:

Very good article!!

Manta

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:53 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

theories... theories... I got plenty of them too. however the fact of the matter is that any kind of equipment wear caused by the coolant mixture is virtually non-existent in the real world. Distillated water is easy to get (at least where I live) and very cheap too, so from a practical standpoint, it's the best base solution...

If you wanna go "hardcore" with your coolant, use a mixture of distillated water with pure methanol, for the optimum ratio of the desired coolant characteristics: thermal conductivity, optimal viscosity (makes the pump's job easier), prevention of corrosion & bio growth, and finally a lower freezing point, (in case you're using some kind of coolant chiller).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 11:52 pm 
BANNED
BANNED

Use %50 water %30 liquid nitrogen %10 anitfreeze 10% water wetter

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:40 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

maxx wrote:
theories... theories... I got plenty of them too. however the fact of the matter is that any kind of equipment wear caused by the coolant mixture is virtually non-existent in the real world. Distillated water is easy to get (at least where I live) and very cheap too, so from a practical standpoint, it's the best base solution...

If you wanna go "hardcore" with your coolant, use a mixture of distillated water with pure methanol, for the optimum ratio of the desired coolant characteristics: thermal conductivity, optimal viscosity (makes the pump's job easier), prevention of corrosion & bio growth, and finally a lower freezing point, (in case you're using some kind of coolant chiller).

I was wondering what the life time on a water block is. Distilled water would be fine - and DI would be fine as well if the lifetime on components is short.

Methanol is good - like you said - but it has a few problems and it would have to be watched. It has a lower vapor pressure, so if you are using a closed system it will pressurize it. If you are using an open one it will evaporate.

I was just kicking thoughts around maxx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:42 am 
I'd rather be modding!
I'd rather be modding!

ELfudge wrote:
Use %50 water %30 liquid nitrogen %10 anitfreeze 10% water wetter

heheh - I can just see someone coming back here and complaining about the explosion.

Manta