Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: WD Raptor Install Questions
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:12 pm 

Hello everyone!

Finally took the plunge and ordered myself a WD 74GB Raptor HD. I currently have a WD 7200rpm 200GB HD w/ 8MB cache. I have two questions as far as putting the Raptor in my system:

1.) What SATA drivers do I need during my clean XP (w/ SP2 slipstreamed) installation? I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe board, and I have checked ASUS's website and I did not see anything that mentioned SATA under the drivers section. I was hoping to get something more up to date, but I guess I can just use the CD that came with the mother board?

2.) Which drive should I have the swap file set on? (I have 512 MB of RAM, FWIW...) I was thinking the Raptor since its faster, but then again, isn't it better to have the swap file on a different drive from your OS and apps? (Which is what I would be using the Raptor for...) Also, the swap file should be set to 3X the amount of RAM, right? (I know this is somewhat debatable...)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
-Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:28 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

1. Your motherboard features native SATA support, you don't need drivers.
2. Your 7,200 RPM drive isn't really slow, so move your swap file there, and set the size to whatever windows xp recommends, just make sure you set the same value for initial and maximum size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:05 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

hey maxx, i like the BMW M3 CSL too. good car and its lighter than the regular M3 cars. it has like 360horses compared to 330hp for the regular M3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:21 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

This car defines BMW's "ultimate driving machine" motto... I should get my hands on one this summer, unless I have problems importing one to Canada. I decided to sell my old Aston Martin DB4s in the state they are (far from showroom condition), which should cover the cost of the CSL. I expect 420+ N/A bhp once I’m done with the engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:29 pm 
Northwood
Northwood

wow maxx, you are my new best friend. man you are really well off. me im a spoiled 25yr old, mommy and daddy spoil me still heheee.

im trying to grad from college and then im own my own. i really like exotic cars specially and ferrari 575m maranello and the ferrari f430. the aston martin DB4 is hella nice and the BMW M3 CSL is sexy.

i recently gotten into car detailing and i would love to detail your DB4 with my POORBOYS products. i really like exotic cars and even though a fix-up honda can beat a ferrari, i still prefer driving a ferrari. fix-up hondas just dont do it for me. i give respect to you because the aston martin DB4 is hardly ever seen these days, actually never seen. man, the DB4 is sexyyyyyy.

here are my favorite classic and present day cars:

classic:

Aston Martin DB5
1978 BMW CSL
1964 Ferrari Lusso
Ferrari Dino

present day:

Ferrari 575m Maranello
Ferrari 4F430
Aston Martin DB9
Lamborghini Murcielago
Pagani Zonda
Mercedes Mclaren SLR
Mercedes SL65 AMG
BMW M5
Ferrari Enzo
Audi Leman
Carrera GT3
Carrera GT
Carrera Turbo S

man, pair all these cars up with HRE rims, oh my god, attracts the ladies and jealousy. right now im dreaming of a black Ferrari F430 with Black HRE 20inch rims. plus polish lip, oh my god, so sexy.

HRE and Kinesis are my two favorite rims. EVO is my favorite magazine to look at since they all have the exotic cars. gotta love them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:25 pm 
M-Powered
M-Powered

heh, I'll be 25 this May... The DB4s weren't road worthy unfortunately, and the latest estimate for total restoration was 35K USD for each, but I decided to sell both for 55K... other then that, I own another vintage, a 1989 BMW M 635CSi, I drive an Infiniti G35 coupe (not in winter tho, for that I drive my company's Pathfinder), but the insurance company is raping me on this one because they found out it's modified and they probably think I'm some suicidal ricer Fast & Furious wannabe... so I'm gonna sell that too this summer, which combined with the 55K from the DB4s, should give me enough to work on the M3, and most of all, I'll be able to get minimal insurance coverage...

Post subject: Hijacked!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:04 am 

Wow, you guys really know how to hijack a thread!

But Maxx helped me out with the info. I needed, so carry on! :lol:

Thanks for the help Maxx!
-Tony

Post subject: Re: WD Raptor Install Questions
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:26 am 

tony2442 wrote:
Hello everyone!

Finally took the plunge and ordered myself a WD 74GB Raptor HD. I currently have a WD 7200rpm 200GB HD w/ 8MB cache. I have two questions as far as putting the Raptor in my system:

1.) What SATA drivers do I need during my clean XP (w/ SP2 slipstreamed) installation? I have an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe board, and I have checked ASUS's website and I did not see anything that mentioned SATA under the drivers section. I was hoping to get something more up to date, but I guess I can just use the CD that came with the mother board?

2.) Which drive should I have the swap file set on? (I have 512 MB of RAM, FWIW...) I was thinking the Raptor since its faster, but then again, isn't it better to have the swap file on a different drive from your OS and apps? (Which is what I would be using the Raptor for...) Also, the swap file should be set to 3X the amount of RAM, right? (I know this is somewhat debatable...)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!
-Tony

If you know for sure that you can install the RAID drivers for a single drive like you can on the newer Intel Boards.

Your board should have came with the RAID drivers On a floppy that you will need that would be for the F6 install. Make sure that the BIOS are set right.

Can't help much with your BIOS settings being that I have an Intel D865PERL board with native SATA support and only Know what my setting should be,But I do have a single SATA drive with the Intel RAID drivers installed

The swap file is fine on the drive with your OS But setting it static at 1536 would work just fine