Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Greetings !
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:06 am 

i know this is a kinda long post for a question , but i wish to add as much info and backround as possible .

Hello To All Here ;
i have been a reader of Maximum for the last 2 years and , i admit , i am still amazed at all the things i find in each month's issue .

we ventured into the www. world in 2001 with an HP xl761 that was our only pc untill last year , and is now my wifes primary pc . it is as it was "in the box" except for a WD1600 hard drive upgrade and 1 stick of 128 memory added . i was able to do this with the knowledge gained from Max PC and i am moving on to my next project , but i have questions and i can't seem to figure the answers out on my own .

last year we bought an older IBM as a second pc with the idea of myself and our oldest child using it and i found out right away it needed help.
it is a PC300 PL , model 6862Q5U . the 8gig hard drive went away and was replaced by a WD1600 and the old optical drive was replaced with a Memorex 52MAXX 3252AJ . easy i said with a smile , so far so good...

i have added the 40gig old Maxtor drive from the HP as a slave drive and a little bit of memory and it runs o.k. , but i know i have no upgrade on the 696Mhz P3 without changing the motherboard .
i know alot of people have no love of the old "flat" servers , but i kinda like it's ugliness and the ease of working on it . pull up 2 tabs and the top slides of - i wish our HP was that easy .

so , a short question made long - what is my path for upgrading the motherboard ? i had the IBM board number somewhere , but i can't find it or i would add it here ; i have sent Asus and Dragon e-mails a while ago with no replys . any info is a great help .

Thanks
The Ghost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 7:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

You are completely out of luck. It is non-standard and completely propritary. Here is a service manual for IBM Intellistation (14mb) if you would like to see an exploded view.

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/pc/pccbbs/co ... 0n5798.pdf

You could just gut it and use the parts in a complete rebuild.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:24 am 
Northwood
Northwood

i recommend building a new pc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:31 am 

LOL i shouldv have known that it was cheap for a reason . this explains why i received no replies to my e-mails they probably thought it was a joke .

the pdf was great , thanks a lot