All times are UTC - 8 hours

Which do you think is good?
Dell 80%  80%  [ 4 ]
Alienware 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
Hewlert Packard (HP) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5
 Post subject: Notebooks?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:56 pm 

I am looking for a notebook, not just any notebook. I am looking in the price range of 2500 to 3000 for a gaming notebook. I looked at alienware and they were pretty demanding money wise or what you say, no good bang for the buck? I looked at dell, dell was pretty good money wise but i dont know if i can trust them with putting in unworthy ram and other things? I looked at hp........ Yea right am i going with a hp notebook? Does anyone else know any good notebooks? I am looking for atleast a 256 mb nivida 6800 or the new ati (i think) x800 mobility 256? Thank you for your time and i will be looking forward to some advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:23 pm 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Normally, I'm partial to Toshiba. However, their gaming machines don't have enough robustness for hardcore gamers.

I'm liking this Sager for what you're describing for your needs.

You may or may not have heard of Sager notebooks. They make their own, and for many smaller OEM's. Many of the crew here will heartily recommend them.

SC64

Post subject: Re: Notebooks?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:45 pm 

Sunny wrote:
I am looking for a notebook, not just any notebook. I am looking in the price range of 2500 to 3000 for a gaming notebook. I looked at alienware and they were pretty demanding money wise or what you say, no good bang for the buck? I looked at dell, dell was pretty good money wise but i dont know if i can trust them with putting in unworthy ram and other things? I looked at hp........ Yea right am i going with a hp notebook? Does anyone else know any good notebooks? I am looking for atleast a 256 mb nivida 6800 or the new ati (i think) x800 mobility 256? Thank you for your time and i will be looking forward to some advice?
I am actually looking for a amdathlon 64 notebook. After this notebook, i am not planning on another computer until about 5 years?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:32 am 
Chief Surgeon
Chief Surgeon

Depending on the type of gaming, you might need to replace the graphics cards every year, or two, or three. Notebooks don't typically allow a luxury such as that.

Check their site completely, instead of just clicking the one link I provided you. They sell AMD64 machines.

SC64

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:18 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

You forgot Apple.

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:32 am 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

SuperChip64 wrote:
Normally, I'm partial to Toshiba. However, their gaming machines don't have enough robustness for hardcore gamers.

SC64

Toshiba is supposed to make a good notebook. You should consider them.

Sunny wrote:
I am actually looking for a amdathlon 64 notebook.

64 system

Sunny wrote:
After this notebook, i am not planning on another computer until about 5 years?

SuperChip64 wrote:
Depending on the type of gaming, you might need to replace the graphics cards every year, or two, or three. Notebooks don't typically allow a luxury such as that.

I'd have to say every year to 2 is more like it. The laptop I have will play Battlefield, but I don't think it will play the newer games (HL2). My son was really looking forward to a desktop when we decided to build him one.

5 years is a really long time, especially for a notebook. As SC points out, you will probably have to replace your vid card, which may not be easy nor cheap. You may want to pick a model, then do a search for a notebook graphics card. Taking apart a laptop is not hard as long as you have the repair manual. Compaq gives these if you ask for one.

May I ask why your needing a notebook? Perhaps a small form pc instead?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:13 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I have read a lot of good reviews on Dell's gameing notebooks. Although i dislike there desktops, i would recommend there notebooks. They have there XPS2 for $2249 with a nVidia 6800go on a PCI-E bus.

:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:52 pm 
Folding Momerator
Folding Momerator

**Acidburn** wrote:
I have read a lot of good reviews on Dell's gameing notebooks. Although i dislike there desktops, i would recommend there notebooks. They have there XPS2 for $2249 with a nVidia 6800go on a PCI-E bus.

:)

I disagree. My son's friend baught one, of course I had to get my grubby hands on it. Dell put so much crap on it, it was slow. I gave him suggestions on what to do, course I won't touch it without someone wanting me to. About a month or so later he returned it, said my son's Compaq was better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:17 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

buying a dell is like selling your soul to satin :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:42 pm 

try [url=http://www.powernotebooks.com]powernotebooks.com
[/url]. they sell the same sager notebooks mentioned above, but at a lower price. they've been around for at least two years now. dell is just now offering the 6800 mobile in their notebooks. i bought my dell when i was a total newbie to laptops & they are pretty good--for new or casual users. PC enthusiasts know and will demand more :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:48 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

SuperChip64 wrote:
They make their own, and for many smaller OEM's.

No, they don't.

The actual manufacturer is Clevo. Clevo makes notebooks for Sager, ProStar, Alienware, and a number of others.

Now, granted, they're all the same hardware. From here, customer service is really what counts...

http://www.resellerratings.com/seller_i ... er_id=1980

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:17 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

**Acidburn** wrote:
They have there XPS2 for $2249 with a nVidia 6800go on a PCI-E bus.

Any Dell is what it is. They are all cheap, disposable excuses for a PC (desktops and laptops alike). Your only reason for choosing them should be when your budget dictates as such.

Blondie is right, the SW bundle is terrible - any dell I get on the job I have to format C: to get any type of performance out of it. But, we buy in bulk and get massive discounts so who am I to complain.

If you do get a Dell, please try and sell it just prior to the warranty ending if you don't get the extended deal.