Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Hard Drive
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:17 pm 

Hello, I am going to be upgrading my 20 gig HDD (ewww!) to something else, but I need your help.

The system I built is my first system, I know enough about computers to get me by and I am always interested in learning more. My mainboard can use both IDE (of course) and SATA, but I am not sure which to go with. I have heard SATA is much better but shouldnt try to install when you are fairly uneducated, but Im up for a challenge.

Here is where you come in. Any suggestions on a good hard drive for a good deal is. im looking to spend 100-200$. Space is needed, but if I can get a great hard drive for a low amount of money that is cool.

Where are some good (and trustworthy) places to purchase on the internet?

Thanks in Advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

160 gigs of space, 3 year warranty, $95 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 322&depa=1

Or 250 gigs, 3 year warranty for $140 http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 154&depa=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:53 am 
Northwood
Northwood

www.newegg.com www.mwave.com www.zipzoomfly.com are all good sites to shop for computer parts.

i have no epxeriences with seagate harddrives but ive heard the seagate SATA drives are fast and quiet. definitely go with SATA and they are not that hard to install.

you need to install the SATA drivers first before you install windows. if you are using winxp as your primary o/s, then you would need to bootup with the winxp cd. then when you choose to install windows you would need to press like "F6" when the computer tells you to if you want to install any scsi or third-party drivers, which is in case your SATA drivers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:26 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

keymaker wrote:
you need to install the SATA drivers first before you install windows. if you are using winxp as your primary o/s, then you would need to bootup with the winxp cd. then when you choose to install windows you would need to press like "F6" when the computer tells you to if you want to install any scsi or third-party drivers, which is in case your SATA drivers.

Is that a windows issue or mobo issue? I thought there were some new mobos that don't require you to load drivers for sata.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:31 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Partially windows and partially chipset, either one could fix it. Most of the newer chipsets add support for SATA natively rather than as an external (not in the chipset) chip.

Post subject: Thank you for your suggestions but what about this?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:48 pm 

Local paper came today and I found an add for:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 025&depa=0

at the local Frys Electronics. It isnt SATA, but at Frys it is only $54.99 (after mail in rebate). You think I should get this or go with http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 322&depa=1

160 gigs is enough space. Are seagates even worth it?