Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Sharing Cable with 2-4 XP Machines
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:48 pm 

Hello all,

I have two computers running Win XP Pro, one has an Asus A7N8X-E Deulx with the two built in ethernet ports. One is an older Athlon TBird sys with a PCI ethernet card in it (though I have one or two other network adapters to spare if necessary.)
I have cable broadband with an exterior motorola modem.
I have plenty of cat 5e cable.
I have a SOHOWare 5 port hub where one port is labeled "Uplink/Normal" with a toggle switch.

I want these computers to network with each other, while both also being able to access the Internet. I've managed to thumb my way through making it work in every configuration except that! (One has internet other doesnt, both network - neither goes on line, etc,...)

What do I do?

Thanks,
-Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:34 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Quite honestly I wouldn't set this up without using a router, which is the easiest way. You can do it without a router though. I have never done it so I don't have any personal tips for you, but I do know you need to setup ICS on the PC with 2 network adapters. Below is the link to Microsofts how to on setting up ICS.

ICS setup guide

BTW When doing this, the PC thats sharing the connection must be on for the others to have internet as well, which is another positive aspect of using a router instead.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:19 am 
Super Folder
Super Folder

I agree. If you have the cash to spare, get a router. They're not that expensive. I've seen decent ethernet-only LinkSys and DLink routers for under 50 bucks. They come with all the instructions you should need to get yourself up and running in a matter of minutes. If you need any more help with that, though, we have more than enough network-savvy people here to give you a hand.

And, as Iamdeman said, your only other viable choice would be to use Internet Connection Sharing. I hate that thing with a passion, but its an option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:33 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

ROUTER ROUTER ROUTER!!!

ICS does work but it is a royal pain in the backside and can slow the box running it to a crawl. Linksys routers run about 45 dollars now and are easy to setup giving you a solid way to share a connection. Heck, if you are really in a geeky mood and have a spare box, you could use Coyote Linux to setup a Linux router. Very simple to do as well...

If you do plan to use ICS, forget about on-line gaming...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:24 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

roughter is a good idea but check with your isp they may offer multiple ip address im with comcast and for an aditional 9.99/month i can have up to 5 seperat ip addresses i am curently runing thru a linksys 5 port switch and i curently have 3 connected and online and all working fine all run xp home

Post subject: Re: Sharing Cable with 2-4 XP Machines
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:44 am 
Northwood
Northwood

bcnmc wrote:
Hello all,

I have two computers running Win XP Pro, one has an Asus A7N8X-E Deulx with the two built in ethernet ports. One is an older Athlon TBird sys with a PCI ethernet card in it (though I have one or two other network adapters to spare if necessary.)
I have cable broadband with an exterior motorola modem.
I have plenty of cat 5e cable.
I have a SOHOWare 5 port hub where one port is labeled "Uplink/Normal" with a toggle switch.

I want these computers to network with each other, while both also being able to access the Internet. I've managed to thumb my way through making it work in every configuration except that! (One has internet other doesnt, both network - neither goes on line, etc,...)

What do I do?

Thanks,
-Chris

i'd get a router anyways as opposed to getting additional IP addresses. i believe it's $10/month for each extra IP, which would end up costing more than a router in less than 3 months if you're doing 4 machines.

router also provides you with a basic firewall protection.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:14 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

cncmonke wrote:
roughter is a good idea but check with your isp they may offer multiple ip address im with comcast and for an aditional 9.99/month i can have up to 5 seperat ip addresses i am curently runing thru a linksys 5 port switch and i curently have 3 connected and online and all working fine all run xp home

NO NO NO

NAT is easier and it gives you an additional level of security.

Also, a router will pay for itself in 6-10 months against your $10/month

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:30 am 

For budget concerns I've been using a CAT-5 crossover cable directly connected between my sons computer and mine. I have not experienced any degredation in performance of my system. I have only been able to get this to work between 2 XP machines, not with any other OS'es. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:08 am 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

cncmonke wrote:

Why oh why would you do that?

You know buying extra IPs wont get you faster speed or anything...your speed is still shared across all 3 PCs.

You're getting ripped off man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:15 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

cncmonke wrote:

That option has its place, but it's not in this guy's scenario. A router would pay for itself in less than a year (less than 6 months depending on the model), and there would be no real benefit in doing otherwise.

Post subject: Router options
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:29 am 

What router do you all recommend? Linksys? I see a lot of the "g" flavor of wireless router out that might work in my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:43 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

I have the Linksys BEFSR41 (wired) router - gets the job done. I'm partial to SMC myself, but ended up with the Linksys because of a sale at the time.

Linksys BEFSR41:
http://tinyurl.com/yv6le

Here's Linksys's wireless BEFSX41:
http://tinyurl.com/3buez

And Linksys's "g flavor":
http://tinyurl.com/375os

And the one I would get if I were buying today. Newegg has a good deal on an SMC wireless, "g flavor" - $39.99 after MIR if you're into rebates:
http://tinyurl.com/6r5l5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:46 am 

I went another direction the Linksys 5-port Switch. At 1st I had 3 XP Pro, PC's sharing 1 Cable IP amoung the 3 via PCI Linksys Ether cards. Yup, i got Cat5 wire running to 2 other rooms in the house. Throw rug does wonders! Sharing 1 IP on 3 gaming rigs, the results were poor for me with my provider. To much bandwith loss/lag if more than one person was gaming at the same time.

Now using the same Linksys 5-port switch I upgraded to 3 Cable IP's. The bandwith is fairly equal now on all 3 much better now for gaming. For network sharing files/printer I installed NetBEUI Protocol amoung the 3 for better security. I have Norton Personal Firewall where I grant IP access to each other for Lan Games or using Voice (Roger Wilco).

Pale

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 10:48 am 

Thanks again all, I'm not sure if I put up the end result. I went with a D-Link wireless G router with 4 wired ports. I picked up one wireless access card for my parent's machine downstairs in their apartment, with my computers wired to the router, which receives broadband from the cable line entering my apartment. Reception is fine. Chose this over linksys for the $50 savings in cost for the two pieces. I'm satisifed.

Post subject: Re: Router options
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:00 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

bcnmc wrote:
What router do you all recommend? Linksys? I see a lot of the "g" flavor of wireless router out that might work in my house.

"Capt. Jack" (lol...still funny!) has a thread in here about a great Motorola deal over at Target. Check it out.

Post subject: Re: Router options
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 4:14 am 
Professional Dork
Professional Dork

Chumly wrote:
bcnmc wrote:

"Capt. Jack" (lol...still funny!) has a thread in here about a great Motorola deal over at Target. Check it out.

http://www.maximumpc.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1131

The router is only $59.99, and it has all the features you'd want in a router, plus a WAP right on it.