Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

One4yu2c wrote:
The 680w has a 24-pin connector, and the 560w includes a 20-24 pin adapter. There's also several other PSU's to choose from, spend some time at this link - Thermaltake PSUs

Then, if you agree, help me urge MaxPC to include a review of that monster 680w unit, especially if they hold true on their hint to PC&P to revisit the PSUs in light of SLI.
thanks one4, i definitely agree that maxpc should review not only the 680watter, but some of the lower wattage models as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:37 am 
Klamath
Klamath

I concur!! MaxPC, you need some serious power supply reviews! Not only that, but I think it would be a good idea for some power supply education in an issue to!!

That being said, thanks everyone!! Given me alot to think about now :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:16 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

So this brings up another question. Do we need to submit this to the MPC feedback to get noticed? They may not offer up another showdown, but a review is still needed.

IMO, they reviewed some parts prior to a real release was made. There's a whole crop out now that can compete again in better form (600 PFC OCZ, the 350W Phantom, This TT PS, and many more...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:19 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

my votes in for the Neo power.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:01 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

Chumly wrote:
So this brings up another question. Do we need to submit this to the MPC feedback to get noticed?

I started a thread over there last week located HERE. Anyone that agrees, I urge you to voice it and help show that there is a demand for a followup. Power supplies are an extremely hot topic right now, it'd be nice to have some more information to make a purchase decision.

For those that missed it, the link to that thread is HERE. One more time, it can be found HERE.

EDIT: Typo

Last edited by One4yu2c on Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:18 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Arquero wrote:
The NeoPower has two 12V leads, Active PFC, Modular design, a long warranty, and its black. Is that worth the double the money? I believe the title of this thread "What's the PSU of the year 2004?!?"

Arquero

I have to second the ThermalTake PurePower 680W over the NeoPower. The NeoPower just pales in comparison. I also have to recommend the 600 Enermax Noisetaker 2.0 w/ active PFC over the NeoPower. Neither are modular (modular = bad), and both are SLI ready. Also, both have 4 SATA connectors already on the cord. Also, the ThermalTake is fully sleeved--the NeoPower is not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:17 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Ok so i got the neopower from newegg. I was looking at the Thermaltake, as I am a big Thermaltake Fanboy, but I just cant justify a 680w powersupply for the amount of items i have. Ive also read around, and ive read that not putting a powersupply under sufficient load can reduce its life as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

One4yu2c wrote:
True, but the new Thermaltake Silent PurePowers are spec-worthy for an indepth review:

- Sexy black exterior
- 560w
- Active PFC
- Dual SATA connectors
- Colored cable sleeving
- $107 shipped at Newegg (LINK)

or the monster 680w version for $176 shipped with:

- Sexy exterior
- 680w
- Active PFC
- Four SATA connectors
- Dual PCI-E
- Active PFC
- Colored cable sleeving
- $176 shipped at Newegg(LINK)

and other attractive models/specs/prices...

Thank you One4yu2c, I like the 680W version for the 24pin, dual PCIE, sleeved, and has 3 12V+ rails. I especially like the "sexy exterior" part (although not black, but paint can fix that...) Also I think the price increased to $200 unless I'm mistaken. I will have to wait and see, but for now I still like the NeoPower unless I don't think 480-Watts in enough.

As for the Modular = bad part, but it depends on the connection type (aluminum vs copper vs gold). A lot of modders turn their power supplies modular to get rid of the cord clutter of uneeded power cables. But, alas, I may go with non-modular and just change the length of my cables (unless there is harm in that). I don't know... I have 3 months to find what works and there is a lot of options. Anyways, thanks everyone for feedback.

Arquero