Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Advise on a new PSU
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:38 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Been looking at this one, but I've been curious about noise and any glaring flaws. Anyone own it or come into contact with it? This is the only review I could find.

I'm looking for a decently powered PSU thats very quiet or completely silent. I'd also like it to be able to handle the new Nforce 4 mobo's for when I upgrade (proably within the next 6 months or so). Hopeing to keep the total price under $70.

Thanks for any help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:01 pm 
Klamath
Klamath

Well, I've been looking into upgrading my system, almost a completely new computer and am in the same limbo as you are. I have been searching to see if it's recommended with any ASUS boards, no luck though, but nothing bad either. The reviews of it seem to suggest it can handle the newer boards though.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 029&depa=1

edit: sorry, missed your request to keep it under $70... this is twice as much, but silent it is... completely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:07 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

ehhhh. i'm not so sure about that. i'd get a brand name PSU. think antec, OCZ, PC P&C, forton, enermax, thermaltake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:28 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

That review sucked right off the bat:
Quote:
- 1x 6 Pin Auxillary Power (WHAT uses this????)
Really? They don't know? Have they not seen a PCIe card before?

Coolermaster
That one is ATX12V V2.0 too.

Lots of variants of the one you linked to, so you could get the silverstone branded one, but here's another one to consider as well. But it's "just" ATX.
CoolMax

Last edited by Chumly on Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:32 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

gramaton cleric wrote:
ehhhh. i'm not so sure about that. i'd get a brand name PSU. think antec, OCZ, PC P&C, forton, enermax, thermaltake.

I've got an Antec True Blue but its louder than anything else in my system. Sticking with the above brands and not considering other options is advice for newbs.

@chumly yeah, thats why I'm asking here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:39 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

Edited for more meat as you were posting...Sorry for the vague post at first!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:58 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Chumly wrote:
That review sucked right off the bat:
Quote:
- 1x 6 Pin Auxillary Power (WHAT uses this????)
Really? They don't know? Have they not seen a PCIe card before?

You sure that's the one they're talking about? Many PSU's have one of these:
which look very much like the old AT motherboard connectors. The only motherboard that I've seen that used that was the Gigabyte 8IHXP.

Quote:
But it's "just" ATX.
CoolMax

Correct, but it does come with a 20>24 pin and a 4pin>8pin adapter for newer/dually systems.
I have the 550watt version of that powering my dual Xeon system. Even with the fan on 'high', it's still very quiet. On low or auto, it should be nearly silent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:01 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

@TWBalls, you recomend the coolmax?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:29 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I wouldn't recommend any of the non-name brand PSU's. My brother had one once and it was rated 450W and it blew out his motherboard making it useless...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:41 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You shouldnt judge a psu by its fan color or something like that, that review is horrible.......... Look at it, yeah they dont take pictures of the connectors, no stress testing, no decibal meter, heck the only thing they said was it has long cable supports sata and looks cool, big deal, its not supposed to look good, its a powersupply...... Get a brand name....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:21 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

Woot, Im back from the dead.

BTW, If you like to like on the edge can try new things go for it, it could work out. Or just buy a brand name PSU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:42 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Hey TWballs, I just found this review of the RS-450-ACLY: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article205-page3.html - would you say it sounds like that? Quieter?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 8:43 am 
Team Member
Team Member

urmumsacow wrote:
Hey TWballs, I just found this review of the RS-450-ACLY: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article205-page3.html - would you say it sounds like that? Quieter?

Two of my flatmates have that exact power supply--it's barely quieter. They are very happy with them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Barely quieter than what?

Post subject: Ahhhh crap.
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Alright, I recently came into some money and I've been looking to subtly upgrade my system by buying newer parts and hawking the ones they replace. Understandably this isn't the best method but hey, $200 can really trim the hedges around my current setup:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antec True Blue 350 - Loud, replacing with a coolermaster
asus a7n8x-deluxe rev 1.04 - No major beef, but the newer Abit boards are much more polished and I may want to exchange if the difference is only $25 or so
amd xp 1800+ tbred-b; - Might upgrade the proc to a barton (or maybe I'll just wait till I go all out and get a 64 bit one)
Thermal take volcano 9 - up till now my PSU has drown out everything else, might exchange for something quieter/more efficient if necessary
Radeon 9500 128 Meg NP- Softmoded to 9700 - for now it will hold

-256MB of Corsair XMS DDR400 memory with Platinum Heat spreader
-256MB of Buffalo DDR400 CL2.5 RAM with Windbond chips. - big beef here, I'm trying to consolidate to one 512 stick and maybe upgrade to 1 gig.

my hard drives and optical drives are doing ok at least for now. Though I have been considering selling my 2 extra 80 gig seagates and putting the money I could get (hopefully $60-$65) towards a nice 250 gig SATA drive since at present I have to run both IDE HD's on the same channel. Why? Because no cables will reach far enough with their secondary connectors to mix and match with my optical drives.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Right, so I just placed an order for the PSU and one of these sticks of GEIL RAM Of course now it hits me that this deal is still good for 2 Kingston hyperX 512 modules

Of course now its too late to cancel the order, and it drained $157 from my $200. I don't mind the idea of waiting for parts to come and then for selling the old ones so much, but I can't help but wonder if I should have sprung for the Kingston. And of course if I should now wait and sell stuff till I have the money and get the Kingston.

Now that I think about it, it comes out to $85 a piece, which is at the least pretty good for the ram. I can't help but wonder how must more expensive it would be elsewhere though (I checked around Newegg and Pricewatch and similar high end ram is around $15-20 more, not that I did a very thorough look). If I could buy the sticks individually I'd defenitly have sprung for/wouldn't mind the exchanging process for the Kingston ram. I've always enjoyed high quality parts and all but all the tests ive seen have never really impressed me with the performance differences between CAS 2 and CAS 2.5 ram.

Uhhg I'm tired and don't know what to think. Advice? Opinions? Random interjections? Fire away.

Last edited by urmumsacow on Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:03 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

urmumsacow wrote:

I've never used that particular PSU.

As for recommending Coolmax... I really like them, as I've never had any problems. However, it's hard for me to recommend them as they apparently don't have very good customer service.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:08 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You have used an even higher watt version though right? Hmmm... *wonders if that would need to produce MORE heat/noise or less in theory*

I guess it should be a bit quieter than the 450 version since the PSU would be under-drawing its max so much that it wouldn't approach that declining curve of efficiency?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:17 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

urmumsacow wrote:
You have used an even higher watt version though right? Hmmm... *wonders if that would need to produce MORE heat/noise or less in theory*

I guess it should be a bit quieter than the 450 version since the PSU would be under-drawing its max so much that it wouldn't approach that declining curve of efficiency?

ImageYou mean me?
The PSU I had was this model.
I don't remember the model of the other Coolmax PSU I had. I sold that one to Niterider along with some Xeons some months ago. Haven't heard any complaints yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:21 pm 
Thoroughbred
Thoroughbred

At $168, I guess this is out of the question...

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDe ... 925&depa=0

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:28 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Definetly, I'm trying to keep it under $70, and be usable with an nforce4/PCIe mobo.