Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Need help with new 3k+ build
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:08 am 

Hey, I'm new here and to ask for advice and opinions on this build I have my eyes on. I have been away from the PC gaming for years. I build my last PC about 8 years ago, then switch to Mac... So a lot has change.

After weeks of searching and browsing the web, this is what I have come up with.

This will be solely for gaming and music editing.

My budget is between 3k - 3.5k

CPU: Intel i7 4790K
MOBO: Asus Maximus VII formula
RAM: Corsair vengeance 4x8 (32GB)
GPU: 2x GTX 780Ti
HDs: Samsung 500gb SSD
2 x Seagate 2TB 7200
Power supply: Corsair Modular ATX 850W
Cooler: Corsair H100i
Case: undecided between Corsair 670 or Cool master storm trooper
Monitor: Undecided

Also I'm thinking I should probably step up the Power supply from 850 since I ll be running that mobo and the two 780Ti cards.

Any changes or additions that can help, feel free to reply

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Need help with new 3k+ build
PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:38 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums!

With a nice budget, you have wiggle room to get almost anything you want. I do have a few comments/suggestions:
  • Unless music editing requires a lot of RAM, 32GB seem like overkill. We've typically recommended 8GB for gaming rigs, and if you want to go with 16GB, I see nothing wrong with that. But if you cut the RAM in half, that's about $150-200 that could be placed elsewhere...perhaps a 1TB SSD as opposed to 500GB
  • Case is personal preference so get what you want. I would think there shouldn't be any problems with either case and the components you've selected
  • With the monitor, I hope you don't buy a 22" 1080p and call it a day. With that type of graphical power, I could see three-way monitors or a really nice 25X16. Personally, I'm not certain 4K monitors are at a mature point yet. If you go that route, I would thoroughly research a 4K monitor before you take the leap

Hope this helps.

Post subject: Re: Need help with new 3k+ build
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:17 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

RE: RAM - 8GB vs 16GB vs 32GB With a $3k+ budget, I see no reason for not getting 32GB anymore & honestly if I had $3k for a build, I'd get 64GB. I'm presently stuck at 16GB & hate being so limited, but then again I do edit 1080p video & large batches of photos. I dabble in music editing, but never bothered to check RAM usage while I was doing it & presently cannot find my Cubase 6 install CD :evil:

Would change the cooler to either Corsair H110, or NZXT Kraken X61 for better performance. Or wait for the new AIO coolers from Thermaltake or Fractal to hit the market, both will have 360mm radiator AIO's. Fractal has gone out of the way to design their AIO to be user expandable, but no idea how long till we see coolers from either company available for purchase :(
http://www.techpowerup.com/203440/therm ... ystem.html
http://thepcenthusiast.com/fractal-desi ... ng-system/

In music editing, the software attempts to run as much as possible from RAM. In Cubase 6 Artist (a limited version) that can mean up to 32 VST instruments, 64 separate audio tracks (a fully mic'd concert drum kit can easily take 16+ tracks), 128 midi tracks, before any edits are made, & all run from RAM...