Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Overclocking Xeon X5482
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 am 

Good day to all

I must admit that I have not seriously been involved with overclocking, despite my intentions in the past, which remained just that: intentions. Therefore, if I write any "stupid" words or phrases, I'd like to have moderators' understanding.

The main subject, now.
Short time ago (less than two months) I purchased a - 2nd hand - Intel quad-core Xeon X5482 processor (3.2 GHz, 12MB cache, 1600 MHz FSB, Stepping SLANZ-150W max. TDP), of the Harpertown family. As we all knw, Xeons of this family work on motherborads with socket LGA771. However, a relativell recent "modding" has been trendy. With a simple adaption, οι Xeons can work on motherboards with socket 775, provided that these motherboards are equipped with one of the advanced chipsets of the 775 platform (that is: Intel P45-P43-P35-P31-G45-G43-G41-G35-G33-G31, nForce 780i-750i-630i, GeForce 9400-9300). Motherboards with other, older or inferior chipsets, simply cannot see a Xeon in their BIOS. More details for this "modding" can someone find in several links, if someone "googles" with the key words: "LGA771 to LGA775". For example, one of these links is the following:

http://www.delidded.com/lga-771-to-775-adapter/

I have installed this CPU on a newer and advanced (for its time) motherboard with s775, the Gigabyte GA-EP45T-UD3R. It is a motherboard with DDR3 slots only (up to 16GB total memory capacity and up to 2200+ MHz - I am going to use 4 DIMMs of 1600 MHz), with FSB up to 1600 MHz, and so on. This motherboard, as all mobos of this level, gives the user the ability for an advanced and analytical overclocking via its special menu item of Gigabyte in the BIOS, called "M.I.T. - Motherboard Intelligent Tweaker". With this, the user can see, control and adjust the following CPU parameters (I am referring only to the CPU, because this advanced menu item also supports overclocking to the other subsystems of the motherboard, such as RAM memory, chipset, PCI-E slot etc., which for the present remain out of this discussion):

- CPU Clock Ratio It is usable when the CPU clock is unlocked. I am not sure if the clock of my CPU is unlocked or not. I tried to find this information but I could not locate it.
- Fine CPU Clock Ratio (in combination with the above item, it allows micrometric adjustment of the clock ratio at 0.5 steps, i.e. from 8x to 8.5x)
- CPU Host Clock Control. Enables or disables the control of CPU host clock. Enabled will allow the CPU Host Frequency item below to be configurable.
- CPU Host Frequency (Mhz). Allows you to manually set the CPU host frequency. This item is configurable only if the above item is enabled. For my CPU it must be set to 400 MHz for normal operation (8 x 400 = 3200 MHz or 3.2 GHz)
- CPU Clock Drive (it allows the adjustment of CPU aplitude and of the North Bridge from 700mV up to 1000mV, with default 800mV)
- CPU Clock Skew (Allows the user to set the CPU clock prior to the North Bridge clock. Options are: 0ps~750ps. Default: 0ps)
- MCH Clock Skew (Allows the user to set the North Bridge clock prior to the CPU clock. Options are: 0ps~750ps. Default: 0ps)
- Load-Line Calibration (Enables or disables Load-Line Calibration. Enabling this feature adjusts Vdroop, keeping the CPU voltage more constant under light and heavy CPU load. Disabled sets the CPU voltage following Intel specifications. Default: Disabled. I am not sure if I know what this exactly does and if it is connected with the next 3 items)
- CPU Vcore (Default: Auto. I suppose that this item controls and adjusts the voltage of the CPU core, which, in the case of Xeon X5482, is between 0.85V and 1.35V, wi standard operation at 1.2V)
- CPU Termination (Default: Auto. I don't know what this exactly does)
- CPU PLL (Default: Auto. Also, I don't know what this exactly does)
- C.I.A. 2 (CPU Intelligent Accelerator 2). It is designed to control and adjust the performance of the CPU, depending on its load and it has 5 options: Disabled-Cruise-Sports-Racing-Turbo-Full Thrust. In these options, the CPU frequency is gradually increased, depending on the option and it can reach up to 19% more.

These are the basics, where the user can use. From the above parameters, I would like to clarify the following:

1) If I want, can I use all or only some of of them? And if yes, which ones?Θα μπορέσω, αν θελήσω, να χρησιμοποιήσω όλες ή μόνο κάποιες από αυτές τις παραμέτρους? Και αν κάσποιες μόνο, ποιές?

2) Scoping in a mild-to-moderate overclocking (i.e. from its standard 3.2 GHz to go up to 3.4 or 3.6 GHz), except the CPU clock adjustment, which I suppose it will alter the CPU frequency, what other item must I consider, so that the CPU clock change harmonizes with other parameter or parameters?

3) Is Xeon's X5482 clock locked or unlocked?

4) If I finally do the overclocking, will it be necessary to alter (or adapt) the other subsystems of the motherboard (i.e. RAM or PCI-E BUS), or can I leave them untouched?

Thank you in advance.

(In order to avoid unnecessary discussions, I have taken care of the CPU cooling, so that higher temperatures shall be controlled).
-

Post subject: Re: Overclocking Xeon X5482
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:51 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

All server CPUs are locked. That may change in the future, but for now do not get your hopes up on OCing a server chip.

BTW: Your writing/translating (Russian?) reads fine to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:11 am 

FascistNation wrote:
All server CPUs are locked. That may change in the future, but for now do not get your hopes up on OCing a server chip.

Thanks for your reply, mate (an odd "nickname" really!)
This was a very useful information, indeed. I really appreciate it.

FascistNation wrote:
BTW: Your writing/translating (Russian?) reads fine to me.

You probably refer to this:

Panagiotis Melas wrote:
1) If I want, can I use all or only some of of them? And if yes, which ones? Θα μπορέσω, αν θελήσω, να χρησιμοποιήσω όλες ή μόνο κάποιες από αυτές τις παραμέτρους? Και αν κάποιες μόνο, ποιές?

Well, this was an overlooking of mine, while composing the thread text, because I did it, after transferring the text from a Greek forum, where I am also discussing this matter. As you understand, the language is Greek, not Russian. I simply omitted deleting that particular Greek phrase, while translating it into English, as I did with the rest of the text. I apologize for the inconvenience.

That said and with the "locked CPU clock" matter clarified, I would appreciate if I can get more information, regarding the details of a possible O/C.
-

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:46 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

check with this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLZzMj06SZA