Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MSI or ASUS??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:51 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Hi guys.

I am mostly on travelling this day so need a laptop for HD (or 4k in the future) photo&video-editing and heavy gaming purpose (Doom, I am waiting for you :lol: ).

Right now, on my right hand side I have ASUS ROG G750JZ and ASUS ROG G750JM

while on my left hand side we have GT70 DOMINATOR DRAGON EDITION, GT70 DOMINATOR PRO DRAGON EDITION, GT60 2PE DOMINATOR 3K EDITION and GT70 2PE DOMINATOR PRO

Throw in some questions:
1) To SSD or not?
2) Is Bluray-drive an overkill?
3) Should I bump the RAM to 32GB?

Post subject: Re: MSI or ASUS??
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I have the ASUS G750JW, which is the lower end of the G750 series. I like it. Even when I'm gaming the laptop remains fairly cool. Plus I like the overall design. A lot of gaming laptops I feel have these over-the-top designs that look silly, but the G750 series at least looks conservative enough. I just feel MSI's laptops look a little too flashy or come with things that may or may not actually mean much. I'd look up reviews on them to see what differentiates the two.

As for your questions
1) If you can, yes. A lot of these laptops come with 5400RPM drives... so an SSD will considerably improve performance here, at least for the OS and your core programs.
2) It's not so much overkill as it might not be useful. Blu-Ray is pretty much only good for watching Blu-Ray movies. Sure you may be able to write Blu-Ray disks, but using it as backup isn't worth while.
3) No. Don't spend any money on RAM. These things come with more RAM than most people know what to do with already.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:46 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

After some survey I decided to get a ASUS G750JZ-T4002H Notebook with the following spec:
-I7-4700HQ processor
-16GB DDR3 ram
-2TB 7200RPM Hard Drive
-BluRay RW
-Nvidia GTX880MX 4GB graphic card

Does anyone have any experience using the this laptop?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:54 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Since ASUS only changed the video card in their later models, I can probably vouch for this one based on mine.

The Good
  • The laptop stays fairly cool, at least on the top part. A major complaint I have with laptops is when they start working, they're usually very warm on the keyboard which makes it uncomfortable to use. It's also not very loud.
  • Air is vented out the back, and there's nothing else back there. While this may be considered a con, the fact I don't have to worry much about rear clearance other than enough for my laptop to breath is nice.
  • The screen uses a matte finish, so less glare!
  • Sound quality is pretty good, and it comes with a headphone amp on the stereo output
  • The power brick is pretty sleek and I think it's a pretty efficient unit. It gets noticeably hot but not very hot and I haven't had any issues so far.
  • Battery life is really good on casual use. It usually gets 5+ hours. But then again I have a GTX 765M so the 880M model may be lower.
  • It has HDMI and Mini-DP, so monitor output options are good. And for some reason it includes VGA (wwwwwhhyyyyyy)

The Bad
  • The keyboard has a tendency to miss keys (about... 1% of time maybe). It might just be a ghosting issue. I'm not sure if they fixed this.
  • The trackpad is too close to my left palm and it has no palm detection, so occasionally I'll hit it.
  • The headphone jack is a little cheap. I cracked the jack case on mine after only a few times of pulling my headphone plug to the side.
  • The default audio drivers (at least on my unit) disable the audio when there's nothing going on, which makes sense. Except the turn-on lag is terrible. I downloaded either updated drivers or straight from the manufacturer and the problem went away.
  • Similarly, the laptop wouldn't shut off normally unless I issued a shutdown -h. I think this was a chipset driver problem (I notice it wasn't happening from a reinstall of Windows until after I installed the drivers) and a different set from Intel made this problem go away.

The Ugly
  • Recovering the computer if something goes awry is a bitch. I've had Windows update corrupt its own bootloader and I've had a wonderful time trying to even find a way to fix the OS. But I'm sure this is a problem with laptops in general now-and-days using Win8.

EDIT: Go check out Notebookcheck's review.