Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Future plans for upgrades
PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:06 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Tellos wrote:
I do not have the money atm. I hope to buy the 840 sad I want in a month or 2 maybe. Consider these before pics.

I know how that feels, been unemployed for a year now :( Watch for sales on the 250GB 840 EVO, they occasionally drop to around $115 - $129, almost as fast as the 840 Pro (not noticeable outside of benchmarking), with slightly less capacity, & a LOT cheaper - B&H Photo is currently selling the 250GB 840 EVO for $129.99 with free expedited shipping - link does not reflect the additional 12% shopping cart discount BUT they're out of stock expecting more in 7 - 10 days.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:40 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Saddly even removing my games and moving them to my secondary drive I need more than 250gbs of space looking at a 500gb.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:30 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Tellos wrote:
Saddly even removing my games and moving them to my secondary drive I need more than 250gbs of space looking at a 500gb.

Holy crap :shock:

Most I've ever used on my OS drive was about 188GB (currently at 98GB used on desktop OS drive & 144GB used on laptop drive but laptop includes almost 30GB of music & another 20GB of downloads) & that is with a ton of trial software & about a dozen games installed. By trial software, I'm talking about huge suites, like Adobe CS6 Master Collection, AutoCAD Design suite, Autodesk Entertainment Creation Suite Ultimate 2015, not exactly small installations.. Then again, with some games now taking up 40+GB of disk space, it may not be long before I break past that 200GB mark.

Now on my Data drives, I've got about 2.8TB all together between 2x 750GB, 2x 1TB, & 1x 2TB HDD's. Hell, between "My Documents", "My Photos", & "My Music" folders, I have over 350GB, plus nearly 1.25TB in original video files in "My Videos" folder - I hope none of these folders resides on your OS drive.....

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:12 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

This is why I recommend hard drives for media files, especially videos. They're low bandwidth files and they won't benefit (as in, practically ever) from an SSD.

And 200GB of games? I need 1.8TB last I did a count on my Steam collection. :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Titan falls 51 gigs on its own. Got Bf4 too and others. Not even half my library is installed. But yeah also windows updates take space. Besides that can move most games over I guess. Just worried bout how to keep a fair number of gigs free. I got 638 gigs free of 931gbs and no my media files reside on a second 1tb HHD away from the OS. in the end I figured 500gbs would be enough but if you think a 250 could work for afew smaller games and the os and programs like word or such.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:36 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly I don't feel most games have a need for SSDs. They do bulk loading infrequently and even then, depending on the game, the loading time isn't because it's loading stuff from the hard drive, it's because it's initializing things. From my observations of loading several games from an HDD, SSD, and RAM Disk, open world games experienced less of a load time drop across media compared to something like Call of Duty. Besides that, once it's loaded, most of what the game needs is in RAM... which won't require more access to the hard drive. Usually.

Also call me crazy, but I do find load screens to be a source of respite from action packed games.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:40 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Erll esych dogs is the only open world game I got atm. but yeah if I can move where I in stall games off steam and uplay to other locations might not be an issue. I could likely get back 100gbs of space. I'll check on it when I get home. calculate how much space games take atm.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:12 pm 
Team Member Top 10
Team Member Top 10

Location: back on the right side of the middle of the left side YES i'm folding
for steam games just use steam mover it will move them wherever you want.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:24 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I just use symbolic links if I installed something and need to move it :3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:56 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I have some 126.4gbs of games installed.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:12 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Storage drive manufacturers really love you guys!!! But I'm the kind of person storage manufacturers hate, I get rid of shit I no longer care for, so instead of needing more & more storage space for junk I'll never use again, I rotate the old out & install the new. I guess I'm just a dinosaur used to the olden days when you had to have at least 40% freespace on your HDD's to prevent major slowdowns... back when a 30MB/sec drive was looked at like an overpriced luxury...

But it does serve me well I guess. I don't have a need to buy anything larger than 256GB SSD to run my OS plus anything & everything else I'll ever need to try out, since everything that's not used regularly is uninstalled. I have no need for a larger SSD, so I'm not spending extra $$$ on a larger SSD, $$$ that can instead go towards a better GPU for a better gaming experience.

Even keeping all the Windows Update install files, Windows itself uses under 30GB disk space, while Office 2013 Professional complete install is less than 1.8GB, & Word is the smallest install of all the Office programs. My fonts alone take up more hard drive space than Word does.

My Steam library is about 800GB if all installed at once, but 1/3 of my library games I cannot stand, they're garbage, & I'll never play them again, so why have those installed at all???

What games do you play every day??? once a week??? once a month??? less than once a month??? What games have not been played in over 3 months??? Over a year??? - once they hit that 3 month point, I evaluate & decide if I might want to play again within the next 3 months, if not, uninstall time. Same with other programs, except I'll expand the 'use within 3 months' to 'use within 1 year' for programs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:05 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
Honestly I don't feel most games have a need for SSDs. They do bulk loading infrequently and even then, depending on the game, the loading time isn't because it's loading stuff from the hard drive, it's because it's initializing things. From my observations of loading several games from an HDD, SSD, and RAM Disk, open world games experienced less of a load time drop across media compared to something like Call of Duty. Besides that, once it's loaded, most of what the game needs is in RAM... which won't require more access to the hard drive. Usually.

Also call me crazy, but I do find load screens to be a source of respite from action packed games.

Okay, I will call you crazy, only a little bit... but not for the respite bit... I've seen significant stage load time decreases moving from HDD to SSD, some more than 70%. Games like Crysis & FarCry were horrible on HDD's for me, with load times of more than a minute, SSD dropped those times to under 20 seconds. Can't say when it comes to more modern games since I've been running SSD's for a little over 2 years now, but rarely do I see load times over 10-15 seconds with the OCZ Vector these days.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:35 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I find that strange, because when I ran my test a while ago, Crysis: Warhead still needed at least 55 seconds to load the first level, even on a RAM Disk. The only significant improvement I saw was with Call of Duty: Black Ops. And the overall improvement (everything combined) amounted to like 50% at best.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:28 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

LatiosXT wrote:
I find that strange, because when I ran my test a while ago, Crysis: Warhead still needed at least 55 seconds to load the first level, even on a RAM Disk. The only significant improvement I saw was with Call of Duty: Black Ops. And the overall improvement (everything combined) amounted to like 50% at best.

Never got Warhead, just Crysis vanilla, so that could make the difference, and 50% decrease is nothing to laugh at.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:10 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Ok I know the 840 evo is awesome and samsungs software is supposed to be a great way to migrate over. Are there other possible soultions too? Samsung despite price drops is still costly for evos. But looking for a nice easy way to migrate and get a quality SSD for maybe slightly less than the 840 evos. If not I can eventually save up for a 840 just will take longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:26 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I think some of OCZ's or Crucial's older models have dropped to really low prices.

You could also get away with a free utility that clones partitions. People here suggest Arconis TrueImage. I've no problems with Partition Wizard.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Tellos wrote:
Ok I know the 840 evo is awesome and samsungs software is supposed to be a great way to migrate over. Are there other possible soultions too? Samsung despite price drops is still costly for evos. But looking for a nice easy way to migrate and get a quality SSD for maybe slightly less than the 840 evos. If not I can eventually save up for a 840 just will take longer.

Biggest thing going for Samsung (& the reason I recommend over other brands) is their reliability. Speed wise, you would have to drop down to old SATA II SSD's before you would see any really noticeable real-world differences Vs the 840 EVO. Sure benchmarks show a huge range of speed differences between different SATA III models. But when it comes to actual use, unless you're using a stop watch to time everything, the felt/noticed differences are tiny if even noticeable.

Still, for anything over 256GB you're looking around $210 for a starting point unless you luck out & find a special deal / clearance sale - like one of Wednesday's Shell Shocker deals - PNY Optima SATA III SSD 480GB $190 shipped - $170 after $20 MIR - but back up to $210 shipped in about 2 hours.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:26 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

MacMall has a Crucial MX100 512GB SSD @ $213 shipped - Which incredibly, seems to be a pretty good match to the EVO: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1222?vs=964 with winning performance in 14 out of 24 measured categories. Crucial also has exceptional customer support & is generally regarded as a top-notch memory supplier, so a very viable alternative to Samsung IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:23 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Say I assume the drive I migrate to does not have to be the same size right? Just large enough for what is on the drive I am migrating from? I hate asking being a guy in IT but rather ask now than feel more stupid later.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:43 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can migrate from a larger partition to a smaller one with some tools. I think Arconis True Image can do this as with maybe Partition Wizard. I usually just ensure the partition being cloned can fit into the target partition usually by way of shrinking the source partition first.