Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Windows Gadget Platform being secretly disabled?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:15 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Windows 7 users have long had problems with their desktop gadgets either not appearing or appearing with visual anomalies.

I never have had problems, myself, until very recently. My Gadgets woes began between two and four weeks ago.

Most of the time, when I boot or reboot my PC, my gadget has disappeared from its home of two years, and the desktop Gadget platform has been entirely disabled: Right-click on the desktop, choose Gadgets, and nothing happens.

I can temporarily restore Gadgets via Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows features on or off, removing the check next to Windows Gadget Platform, rebooting, and then re-checking Windows Gadget Platform through the Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows features on or off. Fun times.

Invariably, Gadgets get disabled again, usually the next time I boot or reboot.

As for the various fixes and causes being tossed about online:

UAC: Some blame disabling the UAC, but I've had that disabled for at least a year, and Gadgets worked fine, until more recently. Still, changing my UAC level did result in my Gadget instantly re-appearing once, but not the last time Gadgets broke (today).

Display: Some blame using anything other than the default Smaller (100%) display magnification. Mine has been on the default since I installed Windows 7, so that's not it.

IE 11: Some say that Gadgets were disabled or rendered incompatible along with the IE 11 update. I have recently updated to IE 11, but I believe my problem started before that. However, I can't swear to it. I can barely remember what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone what date I installed IE 11.

Some recent hotfix: I've seen this excuse pop up once, but I can't seem to find it right now. Who knows?

Registry got kicked in the balls: It happens.

Microsoft is secretly disabling Gadgets in Windows 7: I could wake up tomorrow and find Metro installed on my Windows 7 PC, for all I know.

I like my little weather Gadget. It's not a custom download, but one that came with Windows 7. I want to keep using it.

Over at the Microsoft Community, a moderator by the name of Jeeped came up with this batch file to attack the problem from many various angles.

I haven't tried it, as I just restored Gadgets through the Control Panel\Programs\Turn Windows features on or off PITA I described, above. But I will try it the next time things go bad, and report back as to what I find.

If anyone else in this abandoned wasteland knows of problems or solutions surrounding Gadgets, please share. The life you save could be your own.

Post subject: Re: Windows Gadget Platform being secretly disabled?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Gadgets was disabled after some point because it was a security hole in the OS and I'm sure at some point Microsoft found out not a lot of people were using them anyway. Google also killed its Google Desktop thing two years ago.

If you were using it solely for system monitoring, there are other alternatives like Rainmeter you can use.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:31 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Weird and irritating. Mine was disabled when I installed IE11 (beta) for giggles. Makes me wonder why it was working all this time when the security disablement took place a year ago.

Thxs LatiosXT! Way better than the silence of MS bug report TS.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:58 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

My gadgets have worked fine but only this last week have they disappeared. I thought it was due to a glitch in switching between Eyefinity and regular desktop.

They came back after a reboot though and haven't disappeared since.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:54 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Funny I am fully patched and running IE11 (although I never use it) and my gadgets never disappeared.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:22 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

I had to put UAC back up to the default setting to keep weather Gadget on my beloved Windows 7 desktop. I love that thing. Now, I don't even have to look out the window to know it's raining--I can just sit at my computer and bask in my vitamin D deficiency!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:18 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The one thing I hate about gadgets, no matter who they're from, is they're not baked into the desktop. For example, I hit Windows + D a lot to go back to the desktop, except this literally shows me the desktop in its full glory. So if I want to see the gadgets, I have to click on something on the desktop.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:30 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Yeah, even after putting UAC back to its default setting, my Gadget will disappear some times. No idea why. One day, it's missing. Next day, it's back. It's like a cat that way.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:29 am 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

It seems that simply changing your Windows 7 Theme can also cause Gadgets to stop displaying.

Seriously. As soon as I changed my desktop Theme, Gadgets disappeared. No—they didn't just disappear; they were disabled.

I first tried a couple of common different batch files to re-register DLLs, but they failed to correct the problem.

I just did this again:

Start\Control Panel\Programs\Programs and Features\Turn Windows features on or off\Windows Gadget Platform

Did it work?

Why, yes, it worked. Not instantly, mind you. There is a required reboot after disabling the feature. And after enabling, you have to right-click the desktop then select Gadgets to see them again.

And, yes, Microsoft has stopped supporting the feature. They cite security risks (that exist because they do not want to patch them); however, as we all know, the real reason is to encourage users to upgrade to Windows 8. Microsoft explicitly recommends using the Apps of Windows 8, instead.

Quote:
Gadgets have been discontinued

Gadgets are no longer available on our website because the Windows Sidebar platform in Windows 7 and Windows Vista has serious vulnerabilities. Microsoft has retired the feature in newer releases of Windows. Gadgets could be exploited to harm your computer, access your computer's files, show you objectionable content, or change their behavior at any time. An attacker could even use a gadget to take complete control of your PC. If you're concerned about the safety of gadgets you’ve downloaded, find out more about gadgets and steps you can take to protect your PC.

Guess they didn't have a new Halo game with which to leverage sales, so they broke Gadgets, instead.

It is very likely that Microsoft is intentionally disabling Gadgets at random with updates, Theme installations, and the like, with the expectation Gadgets shall prove so bothersome that customers will throw their hands up in despair and join the cult of 8.

Typical Microsoft....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:23 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Well thanks for bumping a dead thread.

Here's another thing, why did Google axe Google Desktop? Why did Yahoo kill Konfabulator? How come a lot of widget platforms for Windows aren't being maintained? Because desktop gadgets are a dead thing that nobody really seems to care about anymore. A lot of things people did use them for, they consult their smartphone anyway if they have one. Also no where in that quote does it explicitly state that the user should upgrade to Windows 8 and the official gadgets web page was severely cut even before Windows 8 was making headlines.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:28 pm 
Sharptooth
Sharptooth

Does it hurt?