Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Time for a full GPU roundup
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:43 pm 

Between the budget GPU roundup from May and June's "Upgrade Your PC" article, I was really hoping you guys would do a full comparison of all the current GPU contenders, especially now that ATI's cards are back close to MSRP. What I'd really like to see is not only a solid head-to-head comparison at each price tier, but also a good look at what would be a significant upgrade from the cards of 2, 3 and even 4 years ago. Both articles scratched parts of that itch, but I really would like to see you do an in depth piece on the whole crop of current GPU's.

My personal example: I upgraded to an Ivy Bridge 3770K when they first came out, but kept my Radeon 6870 from my old rig because I expected ATI and Nvidia to release cards based on a wholly new architecture sometime shortly thereafter. Now, a year and a half or two later, it seems like both camps release rebadge after rebadge of old cards. Yes, the cards are updated to run cooler and quieter, and they carry more memory, but I have no clue how a Geforce 770 or Radeon 280 really stack up in performance to the old soldier I'm still running - my 6870 w/1GB even manages Battlefield 4 at 1920x1200 without complaint at mostly high settings. Aside from being able to turn on antialiasing, what is modern card going to do that my current card doesn't.

Post subject: Re: Time for a full GPU roundup
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:22 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

PaladinSB wrote:
...but I have no clue how a Geforce 770 or Radeon 280 really stack up in performance to the old soldier I'm still running.

Versus the GTX 770, over twice as fast in most games. And the R9 280X performs roughly the same.

Just an FYI, the higher end Radeon HD7000 series and the entire Rx 200 series are based on the GCN architecture, which is different from the HD6000 series. The GeForce 600 and 700 series are based on the same architecture though, except the GTX 750 (it's based on the upcoming Maxwell architecture). So no, they're not rebadging a rebadge.

Post subject: Re: Time for a full GPU roundup
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:16 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
Just an FYI, the higher end Radeon HD7000 series and the entire Rx 200 series are based on the GCN architecture, which is different from the HD6000 series.

The RX200 series, except the 290's, are a rebadge of the HD7000 series. True, those are better than the HD6000 series, but even back when I did my CPU replacement, I didn't really think that going from a 6870 to a 7870 was enough of a boost to justify the cost of a new card. Compared to a 7950/280? I don't know.

I know there are sites like you quoted that compare raw numbers, specs and FPS, between cards. What's missing from those is the editorial comments. Pure numbers just don't tell the whole story the way an article would.

Thanks for the link, but I stand by my original post that I feel like it is time for MaximumPC to do a top to bottom look at the GPU options along with guidance to accompany the numbers.