Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: forgot administrator account password
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:44 pm 

My deksktop has been in storage for 5 years and we recently bought a house and moved in a few months ago but I don't remember the password to the administrator account which means I cannot really do anything with the computer. It's still a good machine so I don't want to spend alot of money to buy a new tower, so I was thinking I could just buy a new windows disk and install windows 8.1 as the machine was running vista. Will I need the administrator password to do that? I have never installed an os myself, but I'm guessing I would just go in the Bios and tell it to boot from the cd and then I could install windows and nuke whatever was on the machine before. It has nothing important on it right now so that's my plan. Will it work?

Post subject: Re: forgot administrator account password
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:57 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Yeah, you can format it no problem (which should happen during the install). If you wanted to unlock it first and see what's there my go-to is http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/, but there are other tools and methods you could use.
You might want to run the Windows Upgrade Advisor/Assistant to check that all the hardware will be ok under Win 8, although I guess you're probably ok. It's not ancient.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:06 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Do note that if you do reinstall, you wipe all data on the drive. You can plug the drive into another computer and take the contents as needed. You don't need a password for that.

I also believe you can do the same thing in the Recovery Console using an install disk, if you know your way around DOS commands. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... inside-out )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:01 pm 

You can use Ophcrack to recover the password, this tool is free and helpful. If it does not help, try Windows Password Unlocker to reset the password, which i have tested, it works all the time
See:

how to reset windows 7 password

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:26 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

There are tools out there, although I'm always skeptical of them (Because many of the are free--and who knows what lies beneath).

Anyway, you could use a password cracking system to get to your data, back it up, and then do a re-install of the OS just to make sure the cracking program didn't leave any traces. I'm always worried about malware in some of those password cracking programs. You could also plug the drive into another computer to get your data (depends on if you make your user account "private"--meaning that only the user it belongs to can access the files--or not). If not, then usually you can read it from another computer. Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a shot first before using a password cracking app.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 pm 
Million Club 2+ [PC]*
Million Club 2+ [PC]*

cbassett01 wrote:
There are tools out there, although I'm always skeptical of them (Because many of the are free--and who knows what lies beneath).

Anyway, you could use a password cracking system to get to your data, back it up, and then do a re-install of the OS just to make sure the cracking program didn't leave any traces. I'm always worried about malware in some of those password cracking programs. You could also plug the drive into another computer to get your data (depends on if you make your user account "private"--meaning that only the user it belongs to can access the files--or not). If not, then usually you can read it from another computer. Sometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't, but it's worth a shot first before using a password cracking app.

If you used bitlocker on a previous Windows drive, then you're pretty much screwed if a password recovery program doesn't help. With any Windows drive that was encrypted, I've had zero luck in using any password recovery program. Just FYI.

For what you wish to do though, I don't foresee any issues. I would, however, recommend Win7 Ultimate over any version of Win8. Personal preference perhaps, yet I still abhor Win8 in any form.