Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What's a good single player game?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 4:53 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

What's a good single player game that has a lot of replay value.
I'm not one for online MMO's or any game that requires you to go up against other live opponents. I am looking for a game that you can play either single player or have others join (via LAN or internet) to either play against each other or against the AI. C&C Generals Zero Hour is a great example (my all time favorite RTS), but I am not limited to RTS games like C&C. I just don't know of any other type of single player games that have great replay value.
New is better but some older suggestions are welcome.
I am thinking of playing Starcraft II but I haven't seen anything about a skirmish mode, which is the only real replay value games like that have after you finish the campaign. I know of Civilization 3 and it looks good.
I don't know much about Supreme commander but it looks cool.

But are there other non RTS games that have good single player replay value (maybe a skirmish mode vrs AI)?
Bruce

Post subject: Re: What's a good single player game?
PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:25 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The Total War series is fun. You build your empire via turn based actions and do combat in real time.

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:54 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I played Total War: Rome back in the day and it was fun. I might have to check it out. Though they didn't have a skirmish mode for single player action after the campaign (at least not that I remember). That may have changed since 2005.

I was hoping for more than just RTS games.

Bruce

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Oh, well then.

• The Batman Arkham series
  • The Max Payne series
  • Mirror's Edge
  • They Bleed Pixels
  • Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
  • Typing of the Dead: Overkill
  • VVVVVV
  • Alan Wake
  • Alice: Madness Returns
  • The Binding of Issac
  • The Dead Space series
  • Dishonored
  • RAGE
  • The STALKER series
  • The Saints Row series (notable that you can do the main story in co-op)
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • The Stanley Parable
  • The single player campaign for Call of Duty
  • ARMA (if you're into realistic shooters)
  • The Bioshock series
  • The Brothers in Arms series
  • The Crysis series
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004. UT3 has an issue with being tied to a dead service
  • PAYDAY 2. This is purely a co-op game, and last time I played, most people online were competent or at least willing to listen. If not, then just find another server, the scrubs and such are usually rare
  • Antichamber
  • Bastion
  • The Borderlands series
  • Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  • The Elder Scrolls series
  • Fallout: New Vegas (I'm not sure if they fixed Fallout 3)
  • The Mass Effect series
  • Company of Heroes

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:09 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm playing MechWarrior 4:Mercenaries right now. Its available for free now and I find it quiet fun. This is a pretty old game, but the graphics are good enough and the AI is pretty tough. I never got to play it when I was young but I always wanted to command my own mech. Aside from piloting the mech, I spend a bit of time customizing the machines. The AI enemies can be tough and I've had to play some campaigns a few times to beat it.

Also, have you played Civilization 5? It looks like a fun game. Turn-based and has nice graphics.

Finally, if you're into simulator games, go check out Simutrans. It's a transport simulator kind of like running a public transport, or UPS company. There is also an online play or you can set up your own server.

Oh, and what about Minecraft?

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 10:47 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I tried playing minecraft once and didn't really get into it. It's not my cup of tea. Civ 5 looks like a good game, but I didn't know it was turn based. I prefer Real Time when it comes to games like that.
The last time I played a sims game was way back in the late 90's.... lol. I enjoyed the game but never got back to those kind of games for some reason. I have played a couple mechwarrior games and one was fun as it was more like a RTS game. The other was were I piloted a mech and it was kind of fun but the learning curve and the time it took to go through the tutorial made it not so enjoyable. Mechwarrior 4 is free now? I might have to check it out. I might have to break down and get Diablo 3, I really enjoyed Daiblo 1 and 2. At least the first time through I did, but diablo 2 got real boring the second time through (right after I got the expansion). I realized there was a lot of wasted time hacking through hordes of enemies over and over again just to get to the next objective.
Are there any good racing sims out there? My favorite all time was the Star wars episode one racer. There was one that came out in like early 2006 (can't remember the name) where you armed your car with weapons, but I never got around to purchasing it. I am a Car Wars fan (if anyone here knows or cares what that is) and it would be awesome if there was a game like that out there somewhere.
Bruce

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 10:20 am 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Madmaxneo wrote:
I am thinking of playing Starcraft II but I haven't seen anything about a skirmish mode, which is the only real replay value games like that have after you finish the campaign.

Although SC2 is mainly played for the multiplayer, the campaign is good and isn't short. There's different goals and difficulties too that can have you replaying many missions or the whole thing. There is also many bot options so if you want to play alone, its alright. I like to play VS AI from time to time. Although they are more predictable than a person, they still do a decent job of mixing up play style so you dont know what you are up against. I have beat SC2 and nearly beat the HotS expansion, but there is still a lot of single player time put in to bot matches.

LatiosXT wrote:
Oh, well then.

• The Batman Arkham series
  • Sleeping Dogs
  • The Bioshock series
  • Unreal Tournament or Unreal Tournament 2004. UT3 has an issue with being tied to a dead service

I second all this! I've only played the Arkham Asylum and City, so I can't speak for Origins, but Asylum was decent and City was great! Replayability comes in if you like to collect everything, there are many trophies and side missions.

Sleeping Dogs had me hooked for a month or so. Great game, not sure on replayability though, since i started Arkham City after that.

Only played Bioshock Infinite, and only part way in, but its GREAT so far.

Never liked UT3, but UT2004 is one of my all time favorites and bot matches can still be a lot of fun with all the crazy game modes, or just classic deathmatch. Great to play with 1 or 2 friends and 7-8 bots too! Even though its older, I have it installed on my new PC and have put many hours in this past month!

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 12:24 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

IMO:

FarCry 1 & 3
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
Elder Scrolls: Skyrim (I have 900+ hours played lol )
Deus Ex
Deus Ex: Human Revolution

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 11:37 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Great games list! I am a fan of FPS games like the Unreal series (primarily played Quake 3). I was playing Skyrim last year on an Xbox 360, but that console has since left (I still have the game though). Right now the Legendary edition for PC is only $29.99 at Wal Mart.....
I haven't played Dues Ex since the very first game, it was fun. Never played Far Cry or The Arkham series (even though I am a Batman fan). I will try and check some of those games out soon.
I'm just about to finish the skirmish maps with all hard opponents in C&C Generals: Zero Hour. Unfortunately the version (Origin PC client) I have does not work well with mods (like rise of the reds).
I am playing Plants vrs Zombies right now (gets boring quick) because I got it free on the Origin client.

Right now I am thinking of Supreme Commander (1st one), as it and the expansion is cheap at about $13.

The other day I was buying some parts for my new computer build and I found a deal to get one of three video games for about $10. The games were: XCOM: Enemy Unknown, Borderlands, and Bioshock Infinite. I ended up getting XCOM. Not sure if I like it so far, it has't thrilled me yet. I'm not one for turn based games. I should have gone for one of the other ones.

Bruce

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:24 pm 

My favorite game of all time is Final Fantasy X.

Another good game is Banished (very, very difficult). It's a survival game where you have to keep your villagers alive (if you didn't know).

I'm very interested in Transistor, from the people who made Bastion. Bastion so far is ok, but I don't think it's that great.

I also really enjoyed Starcraft II and Civ 5.

That's all I can think of for now. I'll update this if I think of any more. Good luck with your search!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I got Civ V and it's an ok game. Kind of slow for my tastes but it does have its merits. I'm still playing the initial game and seeing how far I can take it. I am going for world domination, I might even eliminate all the city states..... I want it all!! I'm down to two AI players, I started taking out all the AI players when they had closed their borders and I was unable to get to where I wanted to go. So I eliminated them.
I have Batman: Arkham city and it is a good game, though I prefer more action at times as the story moves a little slow. I also got HAWX 2, I usually like flight simulators but I want more sci fi stuff in it. Maybe a space flight sim. Speaking of which, are there any good space combat games out there? I am thinking something like a modern version of Wing Commander 3.
Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:55 pm 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

I still load up a couple of oldies but goodies:

Deus X

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2....lots of fun, love the interaction between the characters.

Newbies:

Witcher 1 don't like two, it has stupid boss fights that are well....stupid and took all the fun out of the game for me.

Deus X Human Revolution

Boardlands 2

Stalker series

Fallout series

There are a bunch more that I have and I am too lazy to list, but all are fun for me and all run in windows 7....even the oldies....

Nasty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:34 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I almost purchased Borderlands 2 at about $10, but opted for a different type of game (Xcom: Eneemy Unknown) that really isn't that fun to me (kind of disappointed). All the others sound like good choices. I played the first Deus Ex back in the day and it was pretty cool. I haven't heard much about the last one they released. One I haven't seen mentioned yet is the recent release of Thief. I really enjoyed the original and the latest one looks really cool. Though with going through the videos it seems I might need to play the last one (not sure how many they made after the first).

Bruce
Edit: What about Assassin's Creed games? I have never played them.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Madmaxneo wrote:

I heard they're good, but it's really slow to start if you plan on going from the first game.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:28 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

LatiosXT wrote:
Madmaxneo wrote:

I heard they're good, but it's really slow to start if you plan on going from the first game.

I thought about that but they aren't as cheap as I figured they would be. I think all three are $20 each. The Thief games are $7 each and the new one is only $30.
But the reviews aren't great for Thief.

Bruce

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:50 am 

I have AC1 and AC2, still playing through AC1, but really enjoy it for the stealth kills, sword fighting multiple enemies, and what I would consider parkour stunts.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:09 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Right now I just got a couple of great games on the cheap, Batman Arkham City and FEAR 3 for $5 each. I only played the demo of the original FEAR and it freaked me out so I had to get FEAR 3. It has freaked me out here and there but the current level I am on is pissing me off. At the end of interval 5 after I beat the phase caster this super mech shows up and I can't seem to beat it. I even switched to rookie mode and this mech still kicks my tail every time. I have slow mowed and used all my grenades and I can't seem to even slow this thing down. Everything else up to this point has been interesting and maybe a little difficult every so often, but this mech is really hard to beat. I just spent the better part of 2 hours trying over and over again to beat this thing, I am starting to think it is impossible. I'm doing loads of damage, but this thing keeps going. Any pointers?

On another note Arkham City is fun. I really like the open environment compared to FEAR 3 though the side missions can be very distracting.

I am thinking about investing in an old favorite, Mortal Kombat Komplete Ed. It's $20 so a little higher than what I would normally spend or have spent so far. I've also seen and have been thinking about Jade Empire Special edition. I really enjoyed beating the original game on the Xbox back in the day. I liked the way they did the attack, defense, and Chi skills. My only problem with the game is that it seemed short for a RPG.

Bruce