Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Norton Internet Security 10-Kick Ass??? WTF?????
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:55 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Situationally, it kind of made sense for me to switch from Eset Smart Security to Norton has options to provide at least some levels of protection to Windows, OS X, Android, and iOs devices where Eset only provides for Windows OS X, & Android. I was able to put protection on all 5 of my devices for less than half the cost of going with Eset but only covering 4 devices & leaving my iPad out in the cold.

But, the only reason I decided to switch was NOT because of cost, but rather because a few review sites pegged Norton 360 (which includes the full version of Norton Internet Security) as being equal to or in the case of the Maximum PC review - better than Eset Smart Security....

Here are the problems I've found with Norton:
Firewall - extremely obtrusive to the point that I had to work with my college campus IT department for 8 hours (an hour before class for 2 weeks straight) to figure out how to allow the campus Wi-Fi through the Norton firewall. With Eset, I simply got a pop-up asking if I should allow or block the connection. Even after I figured out how to make Norton ask me (which took 5 minutes for the pop-up to come up BTW), it still blocked the Wi-Fi connection to my laptop :evil: Additionally, it is impossible to completely disable the Norton Firewall and turn Windows Firewall on without uninstalling Norton.

Anti-Virus: In 3 years of running Eset Smart Security, my mother had never received a single virus on her PC, not even a zero-day through email. In just over 2 months use, Norton has already failed in that regard. Not only failed, it failed to spot the Trojan till 2 days after it was downloaded WTF :x Do you realize how big a pain in the ass it is to change 30 some passwords to websites, banks, online billing, etc.... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Not part of NIS but Disk Optimization - I manually set it to "OFF" in settings, but it still runs, even on my SSD WTF NORTON??? I think it's f'n up my SSD's too, since installing Norton, I've started getting errors on the SSD to the point of corrupting files in both my desktop - 256GB OCZ Vector and my laptop - 256GB Samsung 840 Pro.

IDIOT-FACTOR: Even my mom figured out how to adjust Eset Smart Security to allow her access to the programs & websites she uses for her business in just a few days. After 2 months of Norton 360, she already wants Norton removed, & most of the shit I try in order to fix the problems doesn't work. Unfortunately, neither of us can afford to get Eset right now, business is slow for her, and I'm paying for CCNA classes out-of pocket.

I should have known better than to trust a MaximumPC review or Norton... After some of the reviews lately, I'm inclined to think that Teximex (see the July 2013 Best AntiVirus review comments) may be on to something :?

Post subject: Re: Norton Internet Security 10-Kick Ass??? WTF?????
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:05 pm 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Wait, you willingly installed Norton?!?!?

BRO YOU GOT TROLLED HARD! HAHAHAHOOHEHEHAHAHA!™

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Spider Monkey wrote:
Wait, you willingly installed Norton?!?!?

BRO YOU GOT TROLLED HARD! HAHAHAHOOHEHEHAHAHA!™

I know.... & I swore to myself years ago that I would never touch Norton or McAfee ever again... that's what I get for going back on my own word :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:07 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Quick follow-up...

Shortly after my last post, I found that Eset Smart Security 7 has a free 30-day trial, so I removed Norton 360 & installed Smart Security trial version on my laptop knowing full well that I was going to do a fresh re-install of Windows over spring break.

With that in mind, I found & opened the same email on my laptop that had infected my mom's computer (which wasn't even flagged by Norton before I uninstalled it), and guess what, Eset quarantined it immediately.

Only problem with Eset is that an in-depth / full scan takes so much longer... but then again.... maybe it's actually doing something.........

Gone are all the other issues I had, no problem connecting to campus Wi-Fi due to a fkd up firewall (Norton), no more problems with the SSD... plus it has a "Gamers Mode".... & free basic internet-security training is great for moms & grandma's everywhere!

Congratulations Norton.... you have officially vacated my "do not use" list.... and have taken over the #1 spot in my "burn-in-hell" list :twisted:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:24 pm 

I like Norton. No problems in the last 7 years it's been on my PC and none of the issues you have had at all.

I don't doubt your post, I'm just sayin'....