Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with an AMD gaming build.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:24 am 

Right, before I start, this build is overkill for as of right now March 2014, it's kind of the point, I have spent a lot of time trying to get feedback and information from other source (Reddit and the like) and I understand that trolls exist. With this build I want specific questions answered, the questions are at the end of the post. What I do not want are replies along the lines of "get an i7" "Intel is better", I want an AMD based system I will be streaming and have a HyperV server running, the extra cores are required. For the immediate future, I will be gaming on a single 23" 1080 monitor, there will be a second monitor and a TV also connected to the PC, at a later stage I will get either a 1200 or 1440p monitor or possibly 3x uniform 1080 monitors. My gaming needs are simple, the latest and greatest games, running on that single monitor at 1920x1080 at maximum setting (MSAA 8x and 200% resolution on BF4 for example) at a minimum of 60FPS flat. The build must be able to do this for at least 5 years and be able to accommodate possible future monitor additions.

My budget is £2000 GBP (i'm from the UK). Below is the build I am currently looking at purchasing:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core Processor (£139.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (£83.88 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard (£117.14 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory (£129.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£79.00 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (£429.98 @ Novatech)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (2-Way CrossFire) (£429.98 @ Novatech)
Case: Corsair 750D ATX Full Tower Case (£124.79 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 1000W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£141.98 @ Dabs)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£11.79 @ Amazon UK)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans (£18.99 @ Ebuyer)
Case Fan: Corsair Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 37.9 CFM 120mm Fans (£18.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1825.50
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-03-23 17:18 GMT+0000)

The question I would like specifically answered are:

1. Will the CPU bottleneck the GPUS to a point where my plan cannot be achieved (less than 60fps on max settings), and if so what overclock would solve the problem?

2. PSU and case, will the RM1000 supplied cable fit the case or are extensions required (specific yes or no from only users who had tried the same parts)?

3.What is the best airflow setup for the case, my current plan is to have 2x fron t 140mm fans intake and 1x 140mm fan at back and the h100i radiator with 4 fan push/pull at the top exhaust?

I know that the build is overkill, I understand that, it is meant to be, I am looking at future proofing for 5 years or so. I want a PC that is AMD based and will handle the best games at max settings for five years, if you can recommend a better alternative AMD based build, please do so.

Do not mention or recommend Intel. only constructive criticism with specific and well explained reasons.

Post subject: Re: Help with an AMD gaming build.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If your system is going to be multitasking a lot, then multithreaded performance is key. However, while Intel's mainstream offers are no better in this regard than the FX-8350, the FX-8350 is far from "overkill". Going "overkill", if you will, would be investing in a Core i7-4960X system. Or if you wanted to, going the server processor route with a Xeon or Opteron chip. But as far as price/performance goes for multithreaded tasks, the FX-8350 is still a pretty good deal.

You should also consider response times and performance of your other parts if you are running a Hyper-V server. Core count alone does not guarantee performance of the server.

Although part of me is questioning why you are running everything at once. What are you using your server for? If it's actually being used for things, it should be a dedicated computer, not sharing tasks that are CPU, I/O, and memory intensive.

Post subject: Re: Help with an AMD gaming build.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:42 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
The question I would like specifically answered are:

1. Will the CPU bottleneck the GPUS to a point where my plan cannot be achieved (less than 60fps on max settings), and if so what overclock would solve the problem?

2. PSU and case, will the RM1000 supplied cable fit the case or are extensions required (specific yes or no from only users who had tried the same parts)?

3.What is the best airflow setup for the case, my current plan is to have 2x fron t 140mm fans intake and 1x 140mm fan at back and the h100i radiator with 4 fan push/pull at the top exhaust?

1. It shouldn't
2. NA (I haven't used either part so I won't answer per your request)
3. That's a typical set up, so nothing wrong with it. I would also consider making the rear an intake as well and have the 4 fan CPU cooler be your only exhaust.

Quote:
My gaming needs are simple, the latest and greatest games, running on that single monitor at 1920x1080 at maximum setting (MSAA 8x and 200% resolution on BF4 for example) at a minimum of 60FPS flat. The build must be able to do this for at least 5 years and be able to accommodate possible future monitor additions.

Using 2x r9 290X in CF should easily handle the 1080 graphics requirements you want. My only comment is in regards to your 5 year statement. For technology, 5 years is a lifetime and anything you buy today will probably not be able to meet the graphical demands of 5 years from now. 3 years...? Probably; 5 years...? Probably not.

To give you some perspective, here's a comparison of the r9 290X vs 5870 (the 5870 was top of the line about 5 years ago). These are single cards, so to emulate Crossfire, take any of the 5870 scores and multiply by 1.8 or 1.9. You should notice that none (or very few) will achieve 60 fps.

When people ask me, I recommend (instead of spending $1000 now) they spend $500 now knowing full well they will buy a replacement GPU in about 3 years for $500. Final cost is the same, but you benefit from the newest technology twice, as opposed to just once.

Hope this helps.