Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:13 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

OCNoob wrote:
Is there some kind of coupon going for these? They're showing up as $140 for the 512MB kit and $268 for the 1GB.

No - I just got through ordering a 1gb kit right before posting this. It's odd though, when I hit the site this morning, I saw the same thing (non-sale prices). Ran across the links in a different post and saw the sale prices again. Page should be looking like this when you click on the link:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:13 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

OCNoob wrote:
Chumly wrote:
I think the obvious here is the G.Skill 1G DC kit for $150 shipped

That's a nice price for RAM that strays away from Value. I was going to mention value RAM, but the timings and price of the G.Skill put it to shame. :)

One4yu2c wrote:
512mb Kit HyperX 2-2-2-5 1t - $108 shipped!!!
1g Kit HyperX 2-2-2-5 1t - $206 shipped (available 3/3/05)

Is there some kind of coupon going for these? They're showing up as $140 for the 512MB kit and $268 for the 1GB.
i was wondering the same, showed up as that for me too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:19 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

That's odd - I cleared my cache/cookies and clicked the links again, still seeing the sale price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:31 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

ok, now the question is, is g. skill any good? does anyone have any experience with it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:32 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

im a fan of Corsair XMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

One4yu2c wrote:
That's odd - I cleared my cache/cookies and clicked the links again, still seeing the sale price.

Under Promo price it just says N/A

Try deleting your files from
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Recent
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\History
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp
Also C:\windows\prefetch (as if you didn't already know these things :P )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:08 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

InstigatorX wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

Under Promo price it just says N/A

Try deleting your files from
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Recent
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\History
and
C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Temp
Also C:\windows\prefetch (as if you didn't already know these things :P )
yea, i am pretty sure he knew that already.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:14 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

athlon11 wrote:
id take the patriot, just because it isnt value ram means it should oc higher.

Uhhh I don't think so. Go Corsair... Patriot is the poor mans Crucial... and about half the quality.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:16 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

athlon11 wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:
^By going your route he would save $77, true, but in getting Crucial your getting the best.

Patriot isn't bad RAM though Jorvik, so if your wanting to save some dough, go the route Athlon11 is pointing out. Both the Patriot and the Ballistix are Dual Channel RAM, even though the newegg link dosen't specify the Ballistix is dual channel.
yea, if you want some of the best, crucial ballistix cant be touched, but you also pay for it. either way, you will get good ram that you should not have a problem with.

More bad info. Corsair XMS > Ballistix

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:29 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

N00B33 wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:
^By going your route he would save $77, true, but in getting Crucial your getting the best.

Patriot isn't bad RAM though Jorvik, so if your wanting to save some dough, go the route Athlon11 is pointing out. Both the Patriot and the Ballistix are Dual Channel RAM, even though the newegg link dosen't specify the Ballistix is dual channel.
yea, if you want some of the best, crucial ballistix cant be touched, but you also pay for it. either way, you will get good ram that you should not have a problem with.

actually not, theyre both pretty much equal, if anything the crucial is better than corsair.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:39 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

athlon11 wrote:
N00B33 wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:

actually not, theyre both pretty much equal, if anything the crucial is better than corsair.

More Bad Info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:42 pm 
Celeron
Celeron

Performance wise:

PDP XBL > Corsair XMS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:30 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

N00B33 wrote:
athlon11 wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:

Bah. So tell me, what's the difference between two sticks of PC 3200 RAM running at 2-2-2-10 (amd) or 2-2-2-5 (Intel)?

One stick says Corsair XMS, one stick says Crucial Ballistix. If anything, you have become a victim of Corsairs own marketing. "That XMS RAM is so sw33t! It r0x0rz! IT has those flashing LED'Z!"

Regardless, for years, it is widely known that Micron makes some of the best RAM money can buy. I am not at all saying Corsair isn't good RAM, I am just saying don't declare our statements bad info when your the one giving out the bad info. Explain to me why the corsair is just SO much better then the Crucial, then you can say "Bad info".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:38 pm 
Smithfield*
Smithfield*

OT: good info------> Noob33<all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:54 pm 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

On a semi-related note, you twirps have cursed my good fortune. I work up this morning and again clicked on the HyperX links. Lo and behold, the promo pricing no longer exists.

I ordered my 1gb set last night however, so I can't be mad. When it comes in, I plan on running a showdown between the HyperX and OCZ Platinums Revision 2 (both running Samsung TCCDs). If there are any specific benchmarks anyone would like to see included, whip me an email or PM.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:35 am 
Celeron
Celeron

One4yu2c wrote:
I ordered my 1gb set last night however, so I can't be mad. When it comes in, I plan on running a showdown between the HyperX and OCZ Platinums Revision 2 (both running Samsung TCCDs). If there are any specific benchmarks anyone would like to see included, whip me an email or PM.

Cool! What platform are you fitting them into? You'll be going for the "highest OC possible" benchmark, right? ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:16 am 
Contributing Writer
Contributing Writer

OCNoob wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

Cool! What platform are you fitting them into? You'll be going for the "highest OC possible" benchmark, right? ;)

FX-55 with most like the DFI nF4 Ultra. I'm still undecided on the motherboard, but aside from the funky color scheme, I'm having a hard time justifying a non-DFI purchase.

I'm undecided on the video card as well, but the front runner in that category is the x850XT PE.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:25 am 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

One4yu2c wrote:
OCNoob wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:

FX-55 with most like the DFI nF4 Ultra. I'm still undecided on the motherboard, but aside from the funky color scheme, I'm having a hard time justifying a non-DFI purchase.

I'm undecided on the video card as well, but the front runner in that category is the x850XT PE.
cool, i like hyperX as well, but tell me what youu think of the DFI if you get it. im gonna be building a new pc in june and am looking at nforce4 ultra boards for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 2:58 pm 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

One4yu2c wrote:
If there are any specific benchmarks anyone would like to see included, whip me an email or PM.
Voltages! I want to see which one fries at what voltage first! LOL...

I would like to see what one does at OEM voltages, the another at x.x voltages (x.x being what you feel safe at). Volts make things work, and feel the stock settings, even timings, hold every stick back. We all adjust, so lets see them tweaked then run.

I was just thinking this because Motorcycle reviews run the same way. "this bike is the best of the group", but it's in stock form, and I don't know one person that runs without re-mapped fuel curves (timmings) and a full exhaust (ramped volts). Would it still win? Not IMO. What's the use of these fast chips onboard if you don't tweak 'em?

I'll probably have more ideas as you post results. I'd really like to see what the hype is about these HyperX's. I liked them at one time, but stopped paying attention once I had to focus on DDR2, and you know I'm an OCZ whore anyway. I'll try to stay biased....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 3:04 pm 
Team Member Top 500
Team Member Top 500

Chumly wrote:
One4yu2c wrote:
If there are any specific benchmarks anyone would like to see included, whip me an email or PM.
Voltages! I want to see which one fries at what voltage first! LOL...

I would like to see what one does at OEM voltages, the another at x.x voltages (x.x being what you feel safe at). Volts make things work, and feel the stock settings, even timings, hold every stick back. We all adjust, so lets see them tweaked then run.

I was just thinking this because Motorcycle reviews run the same way. "this bike is the best of the group", but it's in stock form, and I don't know one person that runs without re-mapped fuel curves (timmings) and a full exhaust (ramped volts). Would it still win? Not IMO. What's the use of these fast chips onboard if you don't tweak 'em?

I'll probably have more ideas as you post results. I'd really like to see what the hype is about these HyperX's. I liked them at one time, but stopped paying attention once I had to focus on DDR2, and you know I'm an OCZ whore anyway. I'll try to stay biased....
i agree, tune them for peak and see which one gets on its knees and begs for you to stop first. and yes chumly, you are the resident OCZ whore ;)