I have a system that is going on 4 years old. The specs are:
Cooler Master Storm Sniper
Core i7 930 3.9GHz OC
EVGA X58 LE Edition SLI
6 GB DDR3 1600MHz
Nvidia GeForce GTX 480 1.5GB
Noctua Dual 120mm High Performace Cooler

I also have a 750 watt power supply

I am upgrading the video card to a geforce gtx 760, and I am getting 12 gigs of new ram, as well as a new motherboard. However, I am really in the dark when it comes to motherboards. I don't really know what is a good board, what will work with my processor ( I'm not upgrading that). I am looking for something in the 200-250 dollar range.

Could anyone please let me know what would be a good motherboard to get that will work with my processor. What makes one board better than another? I really need help here.

Last edited by tboy72 on Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Really need help upgrading my system
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:21 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's no reason to upgrade the motherboard.

The only thing that makes one motherboard better than another is how many I/O expansions does it offer and what "nice to have" features it has. The expansions are more or less a standard. A PCI-Express 3.0 slot on a $400 board will not perform any better than one on a $100 board. Neither will the 6Gbps SATA port. Or the USB 3.0 port. Or the DDR3-1600 slots. Etc. As far as "nice to have" features, it's mostly things like POST codes on a LED display, one-touch overclocking, etc. None of these boost the performance of the motherboard any better than if you did it manually (if the capability exists).

Post subject: Re: Really need help upgrading my system
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:06 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
There's no reason to upgrade the motherboard.

The only thing that makes one motherboard better than another is how many I/O expansions does it offer and what "nice to have" features it has. The expansions are more or less a standard. A PCI-Express 3.0 slot on a $400 board will not perform any better than one on a $100 board. Neither will the 6Gbps SATA port. Or the USB 3.0 port. Or the DDR3-1600 slots. Etc. As far as "nice to have" features, it's mostly things like POST codes on a LED display, one-touch overclocking, etc. None of these boost the performance of the motherboard any better than if you did it manually (if the capability exists).

Thanks, I didn't really know that. That will save me some money.