Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is a basic Core 2 duo rig still worth anything?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:56 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

As I was going through stuff lately, I ran across a partially built Core 2 Duo rig I had made at one point, and it still works and was thinking of selling it on Craigslist since I'm never going to use it (especially since I didn't know I had it until recently)... must have been one of my many computer projects I've started but abandoned at one point.....

Anyway, the specs are:
core 2 Duo E7500 (2.9 GHz I think)
4 GB of DDR2
Intel Q45 MicroATX board
It's bot the basics, 4 SATA ports, USB 2.0, Gigabit ethernet, onboard Intel Audio and Video (GMA X4500 I think).
no hard drives, no software, or optical drives (basically a barebones computer).

Maybe $100? I would think at the very least $50, but the board still sells for that online (new). Heck, the memory (which is a matched pair of corsair sticks) is stil lgoing for about $60+.

Ideas on what this thing is worth? It still works. I just don't need it (or want it).

Post subject: Re: Is a basic Core 2 duo rig still worth anything?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can find some use for it as a server or dev rig. I'd probably put that at $200-$300 and that's pretty much the floor price unless you were desperate to get rid of it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:50 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I was thinking $200 might be a good starting point. I don't see anyone paying $300 (I wouldn't). You could build a six-core AMD barebones for $300.
I am actually just going to keep it for now. Because if I put it on Craigslist, I'm going to get low-balled into $100 or something like that (same with eBay), and I know that I can use it for server or something for now (since my Quad core desktop is too nice to turn into a server). That and everybody wants to pay almost nothing for stuff, especially used unless it's a rare item (and I sort of don't blame them with this economy...)

I think I'll hold off actually. having a server that can stream HD video would be nice (and that's I think what I'll do with it--Apparently the first-gen dual core Intel Atoms just aren't up to the task of serving media files very well...)

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:22 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Just to give you an idea of what you can get for that system I purchased a core 2 duo system back in December of last year when I fried my old Dell Inspiron 9200's USB ports. It was the 3.4ghz chip. I only paid $130 (with tax) and it came with 4gb of RAM. I have since upgraded it to a core 2 quad 2.66ghz (the highest cpu for the LGA 775 socket (that cost me $80 on Amazon) and doubled the RAM for another $20. I have added pieces here and there and it is a decent system now, I played and finished the Battlefield 4 single player game in about a week (graphics were at a minimum but not that bad). Actually the only thing I haven't upgraded since I purchased it is the motherboard (and that will be upgraded soon because of weird problem). $54 for the ASUS P5N-D LGA775 Nvidia 750i DDR2-800 ATX Motherboard.

I am actually building a gaming beast right now that should be completed in the next two months. But that is another story/discussion.

Bruce