Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: streamilining Windows 7 boot process
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:35 am 
Willamette
Willamette

What are some services that I can disable in Windows 7 Pro (64-bit) to help speed up the boot process?

Here is how my computer is used/configured:
I don't connect to a domain
My computer gets an IP address from my wireless router
I don't care much for themes (although I've turned them off already)
I have no background (just a solid color)
I don't use remote desktop (and have it turned off)

What are some other resource hungry things I can turn off in Windows so that it can boot faster? I have a 7200 RPM hard drive with a 32MB cache so it's a decent drive (although not an SSD). I'm just not sure right now if an SSD will speed this up significantly enough to merit a $400 purchase.
My computer takes about 5-10 minutes to boot, but the network interface takes about 10 minutes to come up, which can be a problem for mapped network drives, even though I don't connect to the domain itself.

Post subject: Re: streamilining Windows 7 boot process
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:29 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

An SSD can definitely help. A 120Gb would do nicely. Samsung EVO.

Make sure you have at least 8Gb of RAM. Presumably you have removed most startups. Make sure your BIOS settings are proper for fast boot. Make sure to update your chipset and SATA drivers before installing Win 7 Pro on the SSD. Check for a firmware update on the SSD. Use performance tools to evaluate what is stealing performance and monitor effects of any changes made.

My advice get hardware, drivers, BIOS set up before OS. Make one change at a time, keep notes, test with an appropriate app and return to default if no significant change. Most changes will not improve anything. Despite kludging their OS up with built in apps, Microsoft almost always would have already done a performance improvement if it would speed things up. Prepare to spend a day. Make several drive images along the way in case you want to reset and start over from some point.

http://www.blackviper.com - see services and other things

http://www.tweakguides.com/TGTC.html - download the free, you can decide if you want the $5 deluxe version later if you are happy with the guide.

With regard to the network, update router firmware, make sure DHCP and DNS pointers are correct and where you want them and update Ethernet driver and swap cable. Linking should be a few seconds even with a slow system. Also do a power cycle of both the router and the ISP modem/DSL box. If this is a wifi connection the wifi transmitter/receiver may be going bad in either device, but update the wifi driver first.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:40 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

There's three major factors as far as I know that play a role in boot-to-useable in Windows:

• Secondary memory speed
  • Driver initialization
  • Startup programs

Adding an SSD will help the most out of those three. It doesn't have to be a $400 512GB drive, just get a 120GB drive. There's a bit of a process to go through if you want to migrate over instead of reinstalling everything however.

Driver initialization is a bit of a tricky business and you shouldn't willy-nilly disable hardware. Just make sure if at all possible that everything is up to date, just to be certain.

Startup programs however are the next big thing that'll eat into the time to be usable. There's a lot of programs that don't need to be run that somehow get a free pass. However, don't disable all of them as some of them are necessary (like, obviously your anti-malware programs).

Also make sure the hard drive is defragged. But considering that the claim here is it takes 5-10 minutes to boot (which I consider that when the computer is on to when the login screen appears), that might be something other than Windows. Even at its worst, I never seen a boot time longer than say a minute or two, unless I turn on say my external hard drive, which for whatever reason UEFI must search the entire thing and drag the boot process for another 5 minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:46 am 
Willamette
Willamette

I'd wish I could get away with a 120GB or even a 250GB SSD, but after installing all the apps that I use at least weekly (no games, all productivity for work), the base install isa round 150 GB (so a 250GB would be too small and I wouild simply run out of room after about 6 months, so the 500/512GB was a nice sweet spot in price and capacity).

I will look into the driver startup because I'm sure that is part of the problem.... I've done about all I can think of: defragmenting, removing unneeded programs, etc (aside from going through the Services list with a comb and rechecking everything).

I think I'll be getting an SSD either way. Even if it cuts the boot time in half, that would be good. Does anyone know if the 840 Pro series generates too much heat for laptop use? I heard that they can sometimes run warm. My brother's runs warm, but not hot, but his is in a desktop, not a laptop.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:13 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

An SSD is probably the coolest thing in a computer. So no, there's no need to worry about heat