Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:58 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Samsung SSD decision: Pro or EVO?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So I'm finally getting my first SSD ever (yes I'm a bit behind the times and old fashioned... I still don't like ebooks and eReaders either...) but have finally decided on the Samsung line of SSDs. Now I'm trying to decide on either the 840 Pro series or the 840 EVO series.

I don't play games much, but do video/photo/CAD work mostly, and programming.

It's going in a laptop so heat (if any) will also need to be considered. And it needs to be (at most) 2.75" wide no more. My laptop also supports the SATA v3.0 spec (6 Gbps).

I see the the Pro series gives you a 5 year warranty and with the EVO you only get 3 years.

Cost, from what I've seen on similar drives between the two lines are very similar, but I would like things like the provisioning support for better long-term speed. I'm looking at a 500GB drive (unless a 750GB is only a little more, but needs to be at least 500GB). I see that BestBuy has the 500GB EVO for about $310 + tax on sale last I saw earlier today. Pro series was about the same for a 512GB, but am concerned with the provisioning support on the 512GB after reading last month's MaxPC issue about SSDs.

I was also reading that the MLC is more durable than TLC memory (which is used in the EVO). Is this true and should I be concerned with it?
(from what I read, MLC is averaged life span was estimated at about 60 years, and TLC was around 18-19 years, still long enough either way...)

What are their major differences and which one is recommended?

Post subject: Re: Samsung SSD decision: Pro or EVO?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:56 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Besides what you have said the major advantage of the Pro is random writes which are usually unimportant.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:32 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

I've also found (on NewEgg) more complaints of drive failures on the 840 Pro series than I did on the 840 Evo. But that could be because the 840 Pro has been out longer, and thus a longer track record (good and bad).

I also did see results of a stress test and the site (I think it was at hardware.info) said the TLC memory in the 840 Evo can last up to around 10 years with heavy use.

The warranty does concern me, but in all honesty, in 3-5 years I'll probably get another SSD anyway, as technology will change.

Should I be concerned with lifespan of TLC NAND vs MLC NAND? Now it's down to a 512GB 840 Pro or a 750GB 840 Evo. I sort of like the idea of nearly 250GB extra space, plus I'm sure the 750GB has over-provisioning built-in, unless someone else thinks otherwise...?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:50 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The life span of an SSD depends on how much you write to it every day. If all you're using it for is to keep the OS and your programs, your average writes will probably come out to gigabytes a day at worst.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

No, the SSD will hold both my data and the OS. I also will be doing quite a bit of video/picture work, mainly 3DS Max and Maya. That's about the most taxing thing I do on my computer, and it's not everyday or all day long. I don't play games but the 3D work is probably the same as playing a game to an SSD (lots of reads/writes).

I'm more or less concerned with the lifespan of TLC memory at this point. I'd go with the 840 Pro 512GB I saw, but am concerned about its performance after several months (and the reliability, based on some reviews I've read about them failing after a few months of even light use). I haven't see anything on the Evo but that's because it's still new. The performance between the Evo and Pro is pretty much not noticable from what I've read and see in benchmark tests... The one test I did reference above about the TLC stress test does seem promising in that an SSD with TLC memory can last to around 10+ years even with moderate use.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:47 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Honestly I think you can skirt by with a regular HDD. Most of your tasks would eat up oodles of RAM and an SSD wouldn't really benefit unless seconds of your time is hundreds of dollars.

I did a test a while ago to see if secondary memory performance affects video encoding. It doesn't.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:10 am 
Willamette
Willamette

The reason I'm looking to the SSD is because of how much stuff I have that starts up, and the speed at which my projects and other stuff loads. Often times, it takes my laptop about 10-15 minutes to startup to a point where I can use it (and it's a hyperthreaded i7 quad with 8 threads and 16GB of RAM so it's not a cheap laptop and is designed for media creation and basically is a workstation replacement).
Where my bottleneck is right now is the hard disk. With the 3D stuff I can see where an SSD would only provide so much of a boost, but I also run VMs from time to time, and also host a SQL server on the same machine (for development purposes).

So I'm basically looking for improved boot times, and faster overall read/write speeds. That and I'm going to be needing more space in about 6 months anyway, so it's either another HDD or SSD at that point. I figured I'd just kill two birds with one stone and get a bigger SSD and solve both issues.

I guess in reality, whether it has TLC or MLC memory, I'm probably going to upgrade again within 3-5 years as technology changes, so even with a decent workload, the drive (SSD) will most likely last that long anyway, especially if it's a top tier brand/quality drive like the 840 line.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:14 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Why not get an SSHD? As long as you keep loading the same things, it'll approach SSD speeds.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:00 pm 

Evo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:33 am 

I would go with EVO.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:35 am 

cbassett01 wrote:
No, the SSD will hold both my data and the OS. I also will be doing quite a bit of video/picture work, mainly 3DS Max and Maya. That's about the most taxing thing I do on my computer, and it's not everyday or all day long. I don't play games but the 3D work is probably the same as playing a game to an SSD (lots of reads/writes).

I'm more or less concerned with the lifespan of TLC memory at this point. I'd go with the 840 Pro 512GB I saw, but am concerned about its performance after several months (and the reliability, based on some reviews I've read about them failing after a few months of even light use). I haven't see anything on the Evo but that's because it's still new. The performance between the Evo and Pro is pretty much not noticable from what I've read and see in benchmark tests... The one test I did reference above about the TLC stress test does seem promising in that an SSD with TLC memory can last to around 10+ years even with moderate use.

IMHO the key to optimum ssd performance is understanding how TRIM and garbage collection interact and setting up the correct configuration. I wouldn't be concerned about the ssd life span as technology well make it obsolete before it wears out. EVO or PRO get's it done. The newest generation of ssd's are catching up with Samsungs controller technology. Prices are approaching .40 cents a gig.