Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to search Maximum PC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:41 am 

I continue to be frustrated by Maximum PC's search function. At the top of their home web page there is a "Search" box. Whenever I enter a search topic, I continue to get results that have little or nothing to do with what the topic is about. This happens every time I have tried to search this website. A small solution would have Google as their search engine for their site. I have gone thru their "Contact Us" link but haven't ever received any response, I'm sorry to say. :cry:

I just searched for "web hosting" & "best web hosting" & received results for the latest article on email mastery, Amazons cloud, Chrome web app, etc. Absolutely nothing at all about web hosting services. It did suggest "Did you mean web posting?" NO!! I would think web "hosting" would be a common subject.

I used to think Microsoft's search function was lame, Maximum PC's is beating MS by leaps & bounds. :evil:

I love the mag. It's one of my favorites. I read it as soon as I get it & look forward to the next issue. But I'm sorry, so far its website sucks big time.

Post subject: Re: How to search Maximum PC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:48 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

My googlefu is pretty good, but the site search function is working up to expectations. I've used it plenty of times to find things I've forgotten over the years. IF you want to use Google, [search term] site:www.maximumpc.com/ into Google and that should get you started. If you need to find something in a particalar area of the site, then for example the forums use site:www.maximumpc.com/forums into Google.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:22 am 

Thanks Airheadq, for the quick response. But I still don't know why my searches thru MaximumPC's search function aren't coming up with any finds. Am I doing something wrong? Am I entering data incorrectly in the search box?

You have evidently found the "trick" to making it work thru your experience. Perhaps I could submit a request to the Doctor or someone else at the mag to do an article on "How to search MaximumPC website".

Thanks again for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:20 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

Honestly, I haven't used it recently (shame on me) and I should have done a test run. It does look like it has changed. Mainly the difference I see is that it also searches for root/related words. Generally, I would use a specific and semi-unique phrase to narrow down the results as much as possible, but obviously this cripples that. The Google method is still viable unfortunately it doesn't narrow the results as much.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:53 am 

Thanks again for the communication. It's a shame that the Maximum PC people don't monitor the forum for simple problems like this one. I guess it has to be more than a single reader for them to take notice.

I've noticed over the years the decline in these organizations "say" & what they "do". When I signed onto this site a few minutes ago I got a popup asking me to take some sort of survey. Within the popup was the statement "We want to know what you think", or something like that. I grinned & clicked on the "NO" box. It's basically a waste of my time to indulge in these farces.

Anyway, Airheadq, thanks for being a real caring person to take time to respond to my concern. Hope you have a great week!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:37 pm 
Million Club - 2 Plus
Million Club - 2 Plus

No problem. More than likely I would encounter it at one point so I would be in the same boat.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:42 pm 

I sincerely think it would make the MaxPC subscription much more valuable.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:22 pm 
Maximum PC Editor
Maximum PC Editor

Hey Phuztone,

It's Maximum PC Online Managing Editor Jimmy Thang again. I'm not sure what article you're looking for exactly by searching for "web hosting." Is it an article in the magazine? If so, what issue is it from? As I replied in your other thread, there is a bit of a delay in getting articles up from the mag on to the site. Perhaps the resolves your issue? Otherwise you could also search via tags. Here are the tags for web hosting here: http://www.maximumpc.com/tags/web_hosting <-- notice that the tag "web hosting" is separated by an underscore. That's how our system labels tags that authors/editors tag on their articles.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions/comments.

Thanks,
Jimmy Thang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:04 pm 

I gotta agree with phuztone here: the search function evacuates to hard vacuum.

I just tried to search up "USB boot key", "bootable USB key", and "bootable USB key September 2013" -- trying to find the September 2013 magazine article on the same subject -- and got results from 2009, and a whole bunch of totally unrelated articles. I had to resort to downloading the PDF (because the mailman's dog ate my original issue), and searching the PDF page-by-page for the damn article.

And search had NEVER been good: I usually have to give up and find another source, or find the printed magazine, to find what I want.

This is NOT the way the premiere computer technology magazine's website should be!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

johnpulliam wrote:
This is NOT the way the premiere computer technology magazine's website should be!!

That summarizes our last decade here pretty nicely.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:57 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
johnpulliam wrote:

They need to realize how many customers they lose every time someone comes here for info, and leaves frustrated: there goes yet another one who could've subscribed, had they gotten their answer.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:47 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

johnpulliam wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:
johnpulliam wrote:

They need to realize how many customers they lose every time someone comes here for info, and leaves frustrated: there goes yet another one who could've subscribed, had they gotten their answer.

I think they've shown that this forum has little / no effect on customer subscriptions whatsoever.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:55 pm 

Jipstyle wrote:
I think they've shown that this forum has little / no effect on customer subscriptions whatsoever.

-_____-

It's not the forum I'm talking about, it's the main site.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 am 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

johnpulliam wrote:
Jipstyle wrote:

-_____-

It's not the forum I'm talking about, it's the main site.

Ah.

Well, I think they've shown that this site has little / no effect on customer subscriptions whatsoever. At least, they've demonstrated that that is their belief.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:14 am 
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*
Monkey Federation (Top 10)*

Clearly. Will Smith drove this site. There's no one behind the wheel anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:09 am 

Unfortunate. I guess I need to let my subscription lapse, because the forum and site have no effect on subscriptions.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:40 pm 
Java Junkie
Java Junkie

johnpulliam wrote:
Unfortunate. I guess I need to let my subscription lapse, because the forum and site have no effect on subscriptions.

There you go. Problem solved!