Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SSD noob with questions...halp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:50 pm 

Hi, after reading the SSD reviews in the Feb issue of MaxPC, I'm [re]considering getting one for my laptop.
Now, I choose my laptop with future upgrading in mind, one of which was an SSD, but the SSD's available when I got my laptop were over-priced & under-spaced compared to the HDD's, as well as having some stability/reliability issues.
Now the SSD's are much better in all these areas & I think it's finally time for one!

Doing a clean install would be inconvenient to me. I've spent all this time getting everything just-so, I don't feel like transferring all my files & starting all over with my programs & drivers. (Plus, for some reason DVDFab thinks it's trial expiration date is a month after each time it's launched. Something that hasn't been repeated with installs of newer versions on other machines...a bit odd, but DVDFab works fine & is really, really useful, so I'm not looking that gift-horse in the mouth.)

So, if I get an SSD I'll want to try cloning.
My HDD is 500gb (465gb useable), but only about 87gb is being used.

1) If I clone my drive, is it possible to put it on a smaller drive (I'm thinking 256gb here) by editing the clone image?
2) If I get a 512gb SSD will my 500/465gb clone image only take up part of the available space & how would I fix that so I could have full capacity?
3) What other potential "un-foreseen" problems might await me?

Basically, I would like to get an SSD, clone my current data to it, then pop it in the laptop without it realizing it's been "mind-switched".

Any tips are appreciated, thanks. :)

Post subject: Re: SSD noob with questions...halp
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:58 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

nerfbomb wrote:
1) If I clone my drive, is it possible to put it on a smaller drive (I'm thinking 256gb here) by editing the clone image?

It's possible, but you need to shrink the partition on the hard drive first.

Quote:
2) If I get a 512gb SSD will my 500/465gb clone image only take up part of the available space & how would I fix that so I could have full capacity?

It will only take up part of the space, you're going to have to use a partitioning tool (the one in Windows will work) to expand it. Though I would leave it be because it provides overprovisioning which will boost performance/reliability.

Quote:
3) What other potential "un-foreseen" problems might await me?

You're going to need to go through the steps in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx up to where it says "Reboot to Windows 7 to establish the new system partition." first, then clone it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:00 pm 

Thanks for the tips; especially about using the extra capacity for over-provisioning.

I don't quite understand though, why I would need to do all of the procedure here:

Quote:
You're going to need to go through the steps in http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 10%29.aspx up to where it says "Reboot to Windows 7 to establish the new system partition." first, then clone it.

I only have one drive slot in my laptop, so I don't understand what moving the boot files into the second partition would accomplish. Couldn't I just make a second "blank" partition without moving the boot files to make my C: partition smaller, then clone the [now smaller] C: partition?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:34 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The procedure I mentioned is necessary because it's how you create the bootloader, and I'm willing to bet that it needs to be the first thing in any secondary storage (SSD, HDD, etc.) because of how the booting process works.

So no, you can't clone C:\ first then add the bootloader.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:36 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

nerfbomb wrote:
.... if I get an SSD I'll want to try cloning.
My HDD is 500gb (465gb useable), but only about 87gb is being used.

1) If I clone my drive, is it possible to put it on a smaller drive (I'm thinking 256gb here) by editing the clone image?....

Yes, both Macrium Reflect (free) version and Acronis (trial) will easily clone a drive image from a larger partition to a smaller partition, provided the actual storage space occupied doesn't exceed the size of the smaller partition.

You should leave at least 25% of the SSD partition free space for housekeeping duties (TRIM).

Many SSD maker's support site offer free cloning app based upon Acronis (lite) that will do this for you provided you have one of their drives in or attached to you system.

You do not do editing, however before you do this I would suggest this is a great time to do an inventory of your apps with Belarc Advisor and consider removing any you no long use.

Optional: Good time to update your BIOS, chipset and SATA drivers too.