Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: How to restore Google Search
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:24 pm 

Recently i installed the program Filezilla and a few other programs , as a result i have " Bing" as my default search instead of Google. I have uninstalled all the programs except Filezilla yet Bing is still there. I have checked my Chrome settings and it says that Google is my default search, still Bing is there. As well i have removed all but 3 extensions and Bing is still there. I am using Norton internet security and have run a full scan to see if there is any malware that is keeping Bing as my default search. The result was no problems. Any ideas and advice would be very much appreciated , because i want Bing gone. Thanks Shawn

Post subject: Re: How to restore Google Search
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:15 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Try clearing out the setting in Chrome and set Google again. If that doesn't work I'd say uninstall and re-install Chrome.

Oh, also, use the Help Desk forum for problems.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:10 am 

Chrome
Settings
Show advanced settings
Restore browser settings to their original defaults

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:23 pm 

Thanks for the advice, but nothing i've tried has been able to remove Bing and restore Google search. I tried resetting the browser setttings. I even uninstalled Chrome and installed Chrome and yet this (Tuvaro) Bing is still there. I even disabled all of my extensions one by one to see if i could get rid of Tuvaro/ Bing, yet it's still there. I also used Windows control panel-programs -add - remove programs and removed suspicious programs, yet Bing is still there. My last a temp i used Malware Bytes Anti Malware and removed 175 threats, nothing changed. So as you can see i've run out of ideas . Any and all advice would be very much appreciated. Thanks Shawn.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:34 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Dude, what's up with your machine? 175 threats? Does Malwarebytes count cookies and other basically harmless things (can't remember), or are you overrun? I say burn it down and start over.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:45 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Now you see, you include some important info that isn't maligning a Microsoft product like Bing and we can help.

http://malwaretips.com/blogs/tuvaro-toolbar-virus/

I am surprised Malwarebytes didn't remove it. 175 huh ... lord I too hope it is counting cookies. I'm sure Norton appreciates the endorsement.
[Youtube]<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/aCbfMkh940Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/aCbfMkh940Q?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>[/Youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:34 pm 

Well i just finished using the advice given to me by" Coppermine", about how to remove the Tuvaro /Bing search toolbar. After all the steps taken and followed (5) I still left with Tuvaro /Bing as my search instead of Google. Unless there is some other way to remove Tuvaro/Bing, i may have to backup my data and re install Win.7 Ultimate. Any and all solutions/ advice would be very much appreciated. Shawn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:49 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I want you to try something, just to see if it'll work.

Create a new user account in Windows and launch Chrome from it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:54 pm 

Took your advice and created a new user account. Launched Chrome from the new account and was able to use chrome. There appears to be no sign of the Tuvaro/ Bing Tool bar and search . Now i just have figure out how to repeat this with my own account not the user account that i just created, any ideas?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:11 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's probably living in the App Data folder. Go to C:\Users\[Username]\AppData and in all three folders (should be Local, LocalLow, and Roaming), delete any instance of the Google folder if Chrome is the only Google software you use. Otherwise delete the Chrome folder in it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:26 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

If you don't see AppData in your user folder go to Start and search for Folder Options. Select the View tab and set the radio button to Show hidden files folders and drives.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:06 am 

I have tried this before but it can't help me anymore...Is there any other alternatives? It's not save in the the folder which I want... Can I go for google apps backup ?

Last edited by willardzimer on Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:50 am 

I checked all 3 folders and only the Google file was in the Local folder. I tried to delete the Google file an d was told it can't be deleted because it was needed by another user, me, there isn't any other user. Sorry i took so long to reply, i was very busy lately, any other possibilities or ideas as to what to do?. Thanks for the help so far.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Were you logged in as the user of that folder? You could also try running command prompt as an admin and use the RMDIR /S /Q command.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:35 pm 

Thanks for the reply and info, i am the only user and thus am also the admin on my account on my computer. So i tried using the command prompt you suggested and i couldn't execute the command, i was told it was invalid, even when i typed in -c:/users/shawnharris/admin/rmdr/s/q/command, i was told it was invalid command. I know i don't have the best computer skills, so maybe you could help me with the command prompt solution. Sorry about the delay, i don't always have the free time i need. Thanks Shawn.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:35 am 

Update to my last reply, i have finally gotten ride of the Tuvaro -Bing Toolbar. I went ahead and retried "claw hammer's advice using this link, posted Jan.29 2014)(http:/malwaretips.com/blogs/tuvaro-toolbars-virus/. I then went ahead and used Malware bytes Anti malware , scanned and cleaned my computer.then checked my computer using Hitman Pro. I also went through my installed programs in control panel and deleted anything related to Tuvaro-Bing toolbar. Finally i went back to Chrome ,clicked on settings and made a couple of changes, first clicked on startup - open new tab and under search made certain that Google was my search engine by selecting it from the drop down panel. I also deleted Tuvaro and Bing from the list of search engines. Result no more Tuvaro -Bing Toolbar. Advicefor everyone, please read carefully before clicking on anything. Thanks again for all the help Shawn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:53 am 

One more good removal tools is Adwcleaner. More about Tuvaro: http://soft2secure.com/knowledgebase/tuvaro