Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Imaging Windows 8.1 Grrrrr
PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:44 am 

I read with great interest your recent article on imaging products. I see that Acronis got top "kick ass" awards and while I can't disagree (I've been a Ghost user since DOS days) I have to ask a simple question: Did you guys attempt to RESTORE any backups made with the listed products? I got a new laptop and, yup, it came with (was cursed with) Windows 8.0 which I upgraded post haste to 8.1. I decided that I needed to back this machine up as any wise person should do. First I tried Ghost and of course, it failed. I was directed to Symantec's new product and was given NO credit for the Ghost product I'd already purchased. Irrigated, I went to Acronis which I also own. True Image 2014 looked to be the ticket but carefully I thought I'd try the demo first.

Trouble began almost immediately and I was forced to send in a request to tech support. I WAS able to back up, or so it seemed but could not run the restore program as it came up in graphic alphabet soup every time. Level 1 techs could not solve this and my issue was escalated to a higher level tech. After a few calls back and forth, it was suggested I go into BIOS and change from UEFI to Legacy mode. AHA! THAT worked and I was finally able to read my screen and attempt a restore operation. But it was then that my problems really began. I am into my 6th call with top level tech support and they are still unable to correct my issues. What I am trying to do is simple and something I've done a dozen times before: I have a fairly cheapy Acer laptop that came with a 500GB, 5400 RPM drive. I want to replace that with a faster/larger Western Digital drive(750GB, 7200 RPM). Should be no hassle you'd think but as I say, I am on my 6th call from Acronis techs. To their credit, they are working VERY hard to solve my problem but so far, no dice. I tried again last night. I set up my digital camera on a tripod and took 45 or more pictures of my screen as I went through the process. I shot everything and FTPed these to Acronis which gave them some thoughts and I have tried ALL of their suggestions but to no avail. I am afraid of stripping out the screws in my Acer I've had it apart so many times as this model does not offer a drive door - you have to pull the entire bottom of the box off to access the hard drive (dumb design).

Again, I wonder - did you guys try to restore from ANY of the products you tested or just back up with them? I re-read that article many times and nowhere did I see that you'd done an actual restore. I still have no backup of my Acer box and that makes me a nervous Nelly I must tell you.

As stated, I've used Acronis products in the past but usually ended up with Ghost. I met the guy that originally wrote Ghost back the the days of yore and found him cool and personable so I use his (well, Norton's) product. But this time, due to your article and the $30 cost difference, thought I'd go Acronis. So far I am NOT a happy camper. Any thoughts??

Taurus Bulba

Post subject: Re: Imaging Windows 8.1 Grrrrr
PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:41 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Are you using the latest version of Acronis? (2014)? The earlier versions do support Windows 8 but many of them were on the shelf before the Windows 8 release date, although they may have updates. I still prefer the 2014 version.

What errors exactly are you getting? The only errors I've encountered with Acronis are failures due to hardware faults (bad drive controller, bad drive, etc).