Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Help with building new computer?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:41 pm 

Hey guys, a few days ago i got the CM Storm Stryker case, asus z87-a motherboard and i7 4770k that i ordered.

I really need help with the building part, i have already set in the motherboard with the protection shield and installed the cpu and ram.

Here's the problem, on saturday i tried to install it completely but when i clicked on the start button it didn't start (had installed psu and gpu)
However there was a little green light at the bottom right (i believe) on the motherboard which should mean that the psu is giving power to it, i checked if the psu was on or off many times.
How am i suppose to do this, i installed the motherboard,cpu,gpu,psu,ram and hard drive and attached the power cables to each part etc.
But all the cables that came with the case (the ones inside) i have no idea where to put them, i cannot find any available places on my motherboard for the 3.0 usb and so on, some of the cables aren't even named so idk what they are for and i thought since all the cables are for the fans and usb's on the front, one of them has to be to the power button but idk which one.

Could someone help me, i know this post seems really messy but i hope you understand that i just want to get this done, the pc has just been standing on my right side for days while i've been gaming on my old pc

Post subject: Re: Help with building new computer?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:25 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Hey, Stene. Welcome to the forums. I guess this is your first build. Don't panic! We've all been here.

From your description, it sounds like you need to properly connect all the case wiring to the motherboard (and maybe make sure the you've connected the appropriate PSU power cables).

On most cases there are two basic sets of wires: (1) the front panel connections and (2) external connectors (like the USB 3.0 wires). There may be some power connectors as well (for lights and fans) but lets not worry about those yet.

An example of the front panel connectors can be found HERE. Eventually, you'll need to connect these to the motherboard. Once that's done (and done correctly), you should be able to hit the power button on the case and (hopefully) the computer will POST. You were correct in thinking you need CPU, PSU, RAM and a GPU (internal or discrete) to perform the POST.

You definitely need to read the manual. They're not always written well, but they are your best resource when you're on your own. I believe this is the ASUS Z87-A manual. Internal connections are in section 1.9.2 (p. 1-31) and front panel connectors are on p.1-39.

Try searching Youtube for some demos on how to wire a computer. Hopefully, that will also provide some insight.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:43 pm 

is the power cable labeled power SW?
If so where do i put it in?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The USB 3.0 front panel header goes into the connector next to the motherboard power, unless your case instead uses regular USB plugs (some are notorious for this), in which case you'll need to plug them in regular connectors.

The USB 2.0 connectors are on the bottom, towards the front.

And this is how you should hook up the front panel headers (orientation: looking at the motherboard with the pins facing you)
Code:
1 x 1 x x x 2 2 2 2
3 3 x x x 4 4 x 5 5

Key-
1 - Power LED (PWLED)
2 - PC speaker (that little beeper for when your computer boots, not needed)
3 - HDD LED
4 - Power switch (PWRSW)
5 - Reset switch (RESET)
x - Not used/no pin

If you're feeling ballsy, you can touch the pins labeled 4 with a metal object momentarily and it'll work just the same.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:11 pm 

Alright, i connected everything now but not the hd audio and ac 97 cable where do i plug this in

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

It's the last header on the left below the bottom PCI-Express slot, for reference it should be on page 1-38 in your manual. The front panel stuff was on 1-39

EDIT: Your motherboard appears to have come with a little block you can stick into your front panel header. You should use that as it has labeled pins.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:52 pm 

Guys, i'm kinda starting to give up here, i put in everything into my computer, connected all the cables from the psu to their parts and set in Power SW, Power Reset, speaker and HDD led but it won't start, nothing works except this tiny light in the bottom right which is showing a green color.
I seriously don't know what to do anymore, i checked many times if the psu was on or off so that's not the problem...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:02 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Make sure the EPU and TPU switches are off.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:07 pm 

They were already off so what then?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:16 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Alright, try a minimal build. That is only the CPU, one stick of RAM, the appropriate PSU cables (should only need the 24 pin and 8-pin CPU) and the power switch. Everything else needs to be unplugged but you can leave a monitor (use the integrated graphics port) and keyboard in. And just because it's on my mind, make sure the screws mounting the board aren't in so tight that they're shorting the motherboard from the other side.

And if nothing else works, RMA the board.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:45 pm 

bleh, sadly looks like i'll have to return everything and just spare more money for a prebuilt system cuz i can't wrap my head around this

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

stene wrote:
Guys, i'm kinda starting to give up ....

First, see if the PSU will boot up by doing the paperclip test (last sentence (link) at the bottom of this).

If the PSU is springing to life, then I'd do the external build LatiosXT was describing only I'd do it externally as I linked to in the above. Then you don't have to worry about shorts to case.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:47 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

stene wrote:
....cuz i can't wrap my head around this

Probably a good idea.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:32 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Quote:
bleh, sadly looks like i'll have to return everything and just spare more money for a prebuilt system cuz i can't wrap my head around this

Hang on a second and don't give up hope just yet. These will require a little more time and effort on your part but THIS is where builders learn. Here are two other options I strongly recommend:

If you have a MicroCenter nearby, collect all your belongings and head over there. They have a help desk where you can talk to a technician. You tell them (or demonstrate) what you're doing and they can provide assistance (from what I understand they generally don't "touch" the computer but they will observe).

Even better, find a local repair shop and explain to them that you can't get it to POST. Let them diagnose the situation and tell you what they find. Be sure to explain you're trying to build your first computer and you really want to learn about building computers. I've found most of them will diagnose for about $40 and once they find the cause, they'll often show you what they did. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Ask for advice on building. When I first started, one of the technicians actually let me go to the workbench so he could show me more.

Even if they charge you $100, it's absolutely worth it. The knowledge and sense of accomplishment you receive is worth much more than that.

I guarantee if you figure this out, you will be better prepared for the next time. Here's an example of a frustrating build I just recently assembled. Trust me, the frustration happens to all of us.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:13 am 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

That was a nice report on your 11th build, btdog. Not many would own up to the mistakes you did. Glad things worked out. Check with MSI. Some maker's will replace the CPU socket and return the board for a very small charge so you can get some of that investment back on Craigslist or eBay or a 12th build for someone else.