Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Looking for guidance on building an email server
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:23 am 

I would like to opt out of gmail and ymail for reasons that outta be obvious. After spending some time googling about this topic, I am not sure what I should do to accomplish this.

And please, don't mention about bit-message, it's nice and all, but who uses it?

Post subject: Re: Looking for guidance on building an email server
PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 11:44 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Setting up a mail server requires advanced networking knowledge and a lot of resources before you can even get to sending your first email from it. Plus you have to build it such that you aren't going to be killed by spam bots and the like. And there's the fact that people are going to be weary of an unknown domain emailing them (and it may be filtered outright).

While I'm sure there are software packages for Linux and stuff, it probably uses someone else's backend.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:12 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

So what options are there if I want out of scroogle's data collection, or M$ for that matter?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:29 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

DuckDuckGo find it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:48 am 

Hi,

1)To set up a mail server you need a server (share hosting or dedicated server).
All the hosting companies offer you a "Control panel" software which helps you to manage your web server. You can configure your domain names, firewall, ftp, etc... and your mail server.
It is extremely easy to add or remove some email accounts. Even if you have some issues, any serious web hosting company has a support team 24h/7 who will help you in less than 1 hour to configure it.

2)Once you created your email accounts, you have to add them in your mail client software (Outlook, Opera mail, etc...). How to do that? Well just type in google "How to configure name_of_your_mail_software". You will find tons of tutorials.

3)You need to improve the reputation of your IP/domain names.
Mail companies like Gmail, Hotmail, Yahoo, mail.com, Aol, etc.... check the domain name (and ip) of the sender. I will not explain you here everything about this topic. You will find a great article about that here:
http://emailmarketing.comm100.com/email-marketing-ebook/flagged-as-spam.aspx

If you plan to send mailing, it is better to have your own dedicated server instead of a share server. Because with a share server, you share the ip of the server with other webmasters. So if another webmaster make a SPAM, the ip of your server will be black listed.

You can check the ip of your server here:
http://mxtoolbox.com/

I hope my answer could help you or someone else.