Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Time Gaming Build
PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:30 pm 

I've decided to build a computer that can handle a lot of gaming (or pretty much anything I feel like doing) and after a lot of how-to videos and what constitutes a good part as opposed to just cheap, I put this build together :

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2HG96

Just to note, I've put it all together on PC Part Picker, but I just let it choose the first vendor. All my prices that I'm looking at are from Amazon (and that's where I've got my purchase links to, as well).

My question is, does this all look good? Judging from your current knowledge (which has no choice but to be more vast and experienced than my own) is there anything I could change for fairly the same price?
My budget is $800, and with the rebates I've just hit that (if their still in affect/ I choose to buy there).
I have not purchased anything yet, so as long as I won't have to change my entire build for one part, I'm up for any suggestions.

I'm not sure if this affects anything, but I do plan on buying (in the future) another HHD, preferably a 2/3/4 TB. Yes, I do need the space. My 3 TB is full, and I want to transfer all my data to one system.

Any and all help/opinions would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: First Time Gaming Build
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

The only thing I don't like is the platform (CPU/Mobo). You're severely limiting your upgrade paths there and it's usually reserved for AMD's lower-tier lineup. For instance, that video card may be the fastest one you can put in before the processor starts to bottleneck it. This may be mitigated with Mantle, but AMD has to try really hard to push that out the door for it to be worthwhile.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how else you could shift the budget around to get something that isn't so limiting.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:53 pm 

LatiosXT wrote:
The only thing I don't like is the platform (CPU/Mobo). You're severely limiting your upgrade paths there and it's usually reserved for AMD's lower-tier lineup. For instance, that video card may be the fastest one you can put in before the processor starts to bottleneck it. This may be mitigated with Mantle, but AMD has to try really hard to push that out the door for it to be worthwhile.

Unfortunately I'm not sure how else you could shift the budget around to get something that isn't so limiting.

Thanks for replying! I did a lot of looking-into about the builds of Gaming PC's last night, and decided to just not be cheap about it, so I'm going to go ahead and put all my funds towards building it (my max limit was $1,400).
Does this seem like a good build? It's gone through many renditions already, but if there's a better motherboard for the same price (or cheaper) or a better PSU for around the same, that would be awesome to know.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2I255

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:03 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That build is much better. If you don't plan on overclocking, get the next CPU down from that one. You're at the point where you won't see much of a performance hit and who knows? That extra $40-$50 could be worthwhile to something else.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:55 pm 

I plan on a similar build for my first
$800-1000 budget without monitor/keyboard/mouse

Same CPU, cooler, ssd

MOBO
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055Q ... PDKIKX0DER

GPU
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ENZ ... PDKIKX0DER

CASE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BKU ... PDKIKX0DER

is a 600w PSU enough?

is it better to go with 2x4gb or 1x8gb for memory? i might want to upgrade to 16gb total eventually

not worried about wireless card or bluetooth for now

Samsung optical drive

i'm getting anxious to build already! only a week or so til i order!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:20 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That motherboard is an AMD AM3+ board, which is not compatible with either build you posted. The other two components are fine.

A 600W PSU is good enough and leaves room for upgrades down the road. And you should use 2x4GB, since in theory it leads to faster performance.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 7:49 pm 

I definitely think you're better off going the AM3+ route... FX 6300 would be the minimum and if you can stretch for an 8320 I don't think you'll regret it