Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All USB Ports not working, except for mouse and keyboard!
PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:44 am 

Hi. I have a bit of complicated problem here, so bear with me.
I have total of 10 USB Ports - 6 of them are USB 2.0, the other 4 are USB 3.0 ports. I have two 2.0 ports in front of my computer, two 3.0 ports on top of my computer, four 2.0 and two 3.0 behind my computer (as seen in the pictures, that I hopefully didn't forget to post.) Note: The two front 3.0 USB ports don't look like 3.0 ports, because I took the blue thingies away, but they didn't work even before I did that. Note 2: The USB 3.0 driver has an exclamation-point-sign in front of it (see picture), so that's another story. I want to focus on the 2.0 USBs first.
So, this is where it gets tricky. My mouse and my keyboard work, BUT only on the two middle USB ports on the back. If I plug them anywhere else, they won't work. BUT if I plug anything else in those two USB ports in the middle (on the back) it doesn't work! So only my mouse and keyboard work on those two, and everything else doesn't. And all the other ports don't work. Not even for my mouse and keyboard. But, if I plug in my external Hard Disk in any of the ports, except the front ones, the LED glows. (When I plug something in the front ones, it's really hard to do it, so I think those are a whole other problem, but I hope we can fix those too, because I need them the most, because I'm too lazy to turn my pc around every time I want to plug something in.)
Note: I have already re-installed Windows 7 to see if it would solve the problem, and it didn't, which suggests that it is a hardware problem, rather than a software one.
My computer specs: HP Pavilion HPE h8-1335ez Desktop PC Product Specifications | HP® Support
I think that's all the info and I hope you understood all of it. as I said, my problem is a "bit" complicated.

Post subject: Re: All USB Ports not working, except for mouse and keyboard
PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Windows 7 doesn't have native USB 3.0 support, you'll have to install drivers for it. Also I would call this a hardware problem if they don't show up at all in Device Manager, so check that out first.

Also note Windows has this quirk that if you plug a device into what amounts to another "hub" (another pair of USB ports), it thinks it's a new device and will have to configure itself for it. This makes plugging such devices appear not working when in fact it just may be stuck in the configuration prat (and Windows doesn't make it glaringly obvious it's doing this).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:28 am 
[Team Member]
[Team Member]

Are you sure you loaded all the USB drivers, there is a whole crap pot of them on your Drivers site:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 93829#N262

Nasty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

Either that MB used three separate chips (one driver incorrectly stored in the Chipset folder) to run the two separate USB3 ports (ie, front and back---quite possible) or it used a different chip vendor for USB3 support on its MB at some point switching from one to the other. If uninstalling and reinstalling the USB3 driver didn't work, try the other drivers Nasty linked to.

As for some USB2 ports not working the USB2 hub(s) controller may have/be failing in which case you will need to buy a USB2 card for some USB2 support and figure where goes one MB component how far behind can the other MB components be?

BUT, it is also possible that your BIOS allows you to selectively turn off USB2 ports and for whatever reason you have done so---I doubt off is the default.

To figure out chip ID without the driver present:
http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?t=1308

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2089404/ ... ndows.html