Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: £1500 to play with and no clue what to get
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:17 pm 

Hey guys, I hope this is ok to post here. I looked at the before you post about builds thread but a lot of the links were no longer available.
I tried google for benchmarks etc but that only made my brain hurt so I was hoping you guys could help me out.

I want to build a PC mainly for gaming although some video rendering as well. I don't care what make components are, only that they are going to work their asses off for me and will run games at the top settings for a good while.

I don't get the option of cash all that often so my plan is to make as big a beast of a machine as I can for the money so that I don't need to continually lower settings for a good while.

Next week I'll have in the region of £1500 to spend.

My monitor is a BenQ G2222GDL so 1920x1080 60hz.
I want to add a second monitor at a later date (I multitask a lot while gaming) possibly one with a better resolution so GPU being overpowered for my current monitor isn't a bad thing, although I'm not sure the rules on dual monitors having different resolutions.

Probably a second GPU too at some point once games start to become more taxing on my single GPU.
Overclocking option would be good.
I have windows 7 pro 64bit and a razer naga (don't hate me) already, I currently have a £3 keyboard so a decent gaming keyboard that is close to a standard keyboard size wouldn't hurt either.

Please take pity on my hurting brain and outline something ooo pretty, from CPU to HDD to cooling

My current gaming rig is based around a phenom II 955 black ed. so it's not so happy with newer games. It's going to get rehomed so I won't be salvaging anything from it other than my storage HDD and peripherals.
Thanks in advance

Post subject: Re: £1500 to play with and no clue what to get
PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:19 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not really familiar with prices in the UK (I'm guessing that's where you're located since you refer to pounds). My guess is that 1500 lbs is about $2500. With the VAT and what seems to be a higher prices "across the pond" I would recommend you look at the Performance build in this issue (p. 95) and use that as your starting point.

To make up for the components you need which are not included in the build (like the monitor and keyboard), drop the GPU down to a 770 and see what you can buy. Next, I would look at a cheaper motherboard and perhaps switching to the 4770K if that will save you some money. Hopefully these steps will provide you with enough savings to purchase everything you need.

I would suggest you assemble a list of components and post them here. We can then verify compatibility and offer advice if you have any other questions.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 4:06 pm 

Well I've had a look around as well as picking other peoples brains and so far I have this: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/2Duw4

Still need a PSU and I'm considering bumping the RAM to 16GB.
Anything that needs changing? Also what PSU would you guys recommend
Cheers in advance

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:12 pm 

I gave in and added more ram as well as this psu http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-10 ... -95GY.html

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:40 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

You're off to a great start! Few things I noted:

• I thought you were wanting another keyboard and I didn't see it. Also, you don't have an OS. And will you need another mechanical drive to hold your files? Or are you using your old ones?
  • Is there a reason why you've selected 2133 RAM? 1600 seems to be the sweet spot. And I could see 1866 RAM but I don't believe 2133 is worth the price difference.
  • Unless you're already planning for the next 780, 1000W PSU is excessive. With a single 780, 750W should be more than enough.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:51 pm 

Hey
I'm stealing the old HDDs out my current base and putting a new one in there to sell it on, so I'll have 2tb of storage standard drives.
I actually forgot about the keyboard, that's something I'll need to go into a shop for to get a feel of them, although a nudge in the right direction would be handy. I'm not sure on a budget for the keyboard yet since that will be bought at a slightly later date whenever I sell this current rig.
I'm planning on adding another 780, hence the larger PSU.
I can't remember the reasons a few people have told me about the RAM speed, my brain has decided it's had enough of learning for now, but a friend who is a gamer and also a tech said it would be a good idea if I had the budget. Beginning to wish I wrote it down now.

I posted on a few other boards and one place has said the Asus Maximus VI Hero would be better than the board I've selected when it comes to overclocking and overall a better option. It would still be within my budget. What do you think?
Thanks again for the help