Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Preferred/Best Network Topology?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:29 pm 

For the past 9 months I have been running a dual WAN setup using a Netgear ProSafe VPN Firewall FVS336GV2. The Primary WAN is connected to a Comcast Cable modem supplying 50 Mb service. WAN2 is a CenturyLink 1.5Mb DSL circuit configured in a failover mode. Connected to the Netgear Router/Firewall is an SMCD3G Cable modem (cable modem mode only) and a Netgear R7000 (Access Point mode only). I also have a Cisco Dual WAN RV042G Router available as a backup.

This config came about due to construction in the area which was causing cable interruptions, and the need to maintain reasonably unbroken internet connectivity. (I'm a Day Trader)

In the past 8 months however, I have only seen 1 interruption, lasting less than 20 minutes. I also have Verizon available as an alternative for laptop connectivity should the need present itself.

So I have determined that I no longer need the dual internet capability, and am prepared to tear down the dual WAN router topology. I will be dropping the CenturyLink DSL circuit.

How would you reconfig the network? Completely abandon both the Netgear and Cisco dual WAN routers, and shift router/firewall functioning to either the SMC or Netgear R700? If so, which one?

Drop the rollover (CenturyLink) circuit, and use either the Netgear or Cisco Dual WAN Router for a single Internet connection, maintaining the SMC in Cable modem role only, and the Netgear R7000 as an AP only? If so, would you favor the Netgear dual or the Cisco dual?

I appreciate your thoughts on this!

The Gunny

Post subject: Re: Preferred/Best Network Topology?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:56 pm 

254 views and not a single comment/suggestion.

Obviously the WRONG place for this question...

The Gunny

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:09 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Yeah...

Considering your low dropout rate, having two WANs is excessive. And that's about all the advice I can give you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:31 pm 

Same conclusion I arrived at. Just trying to figure out the best config forward after deleting the backup WAN.

The Gunny