Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Fresh install Windows 7 in new build black screen with c
PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:36 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

If Ubuntu worked then either it is the boot drive is bad or broken OS/driver/or bad startup app. Why worry about anything else????!!!!

If Seatools failed then you have your answer.

But I have to admit if Gigabyte is only a short hop away it would be nice to have them verify their MB's working.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The new Hard drive arrived, warranty replacement, Seagate was fast. I dropped the MOBO off Friday at Gigabyte Technology. Now just waiting for the RMA/test from Gigabyte.
If I went with a SSD, would the bad boot sector issue not have been possibility or even a chance of happening. This build was only going to see limited gaming, a gift for my daughter, homework mostly.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

The Motherboard arrived finally a week a ago from Gigabyte after a RMA. A long wait but worth it I guess. Over the phone all the tech told me was that the MOBO had a bad BIOS. I don't really know if it was the hard-drive as Seagate said it was (they sent me a new one) or the both the MOBO and the HD. I put it all back together, CPU,RAM GPU all the other fans etc etc. It worked. I was able to completely load Windows 7. I then installed the Gigabyte chip-set drivers, video drivers and am trying to get this late Christmas gift for my daughter up and running. Now there is still one annoying problem or roadblock :evil: , There is no on board sound from the Real Tek sound driver utility. I even manually installed the Audio drivers from the Gigabyte CD. There was a error message when I tried to install the VIA Hyperion driver. it said " We can't find a HD audio device". The speakers are Logitech Z 523. When I plug a small head phone into the back or the front, sound come from both through the headphones. When I try the speakers, there is no sound. The speakers are detected because a pop up utility comes up from the Real Tek sound setup utility and asked to check the appropriate box , headphones , center, side , front speakers etc. I tried these speakers back in a older PC, they work and sound does come out from the old machine through these speakers. I even switched monitors to a old one that does not have built in speakers thinking there was some glitch with the built in speakers of the new monitor a AOC 12367F LED. No difference still no sound. Any ideas I just want sound , I am even considering digging up a old Creative Labs sound blaster sound card and trying that in a PCI slot but I think sound should come out. I may call Logitech and I even searched for a installation CD or drivers on the Logitech site. No drivers for that speaker.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:48 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

OS?

I don't understand what VIA has to do with that MB????

Never use a CD that comes with the MB, download the latest form the MB maker support site (or the chip maker).

In this case if the Realtek driver is not installing--appears it is (Device Manager?)--then RMA. Yes, I'm sure you are happy.

If driver says it is OK but supporting app is not working is it the one on Gigabyte's site? Try the one from Realtek's site. R2.73 2013/11/11

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:55 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

OK, I just tried the Via cause it was on the disk. The Realtek drivers Installed OK. The weird thing is that head phones work out of the jack front and back and the speakers work off another PC. That is a good suggestion as far as going to Realteks site. Thanks for also turning me to Gigabytes site. Will do that next. I don't wanna send this back to Gigabyte

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 12:07 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Got it :mrgreen: Went to the link you gave me from Gigabyte, then downloaded the latest drivers. I worked, sound is good from the Logitech Z523 desktop speakers. Thank you Fascist Nation and to all the mods on the site that responded and helped. I took it for granted that the disc that came with the MOBO was good. Now my daughter can enjoy her late Christmas present. I just didn't want to RMA again, even though Gigabyte warehouse and service center is only a few miles away, just didn't want to go through that again. Still makes me wonder why both the HD and MOBO were not good, anyway the Blue Machine is up and running!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:47 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

I thought we were done. My Daughter told me of a problem that I have seen too now. After the PC goes into sleep mode for a extended amount of time, then she tries to click the mouse or a keyboard key ( its set to power back on from sleep mode like this from the BIOS setting) to resume or wake the PC up to use, desktop appears but the mouse cursor seems to be froze or unresponsive. I have tried to unplug the mouse and try a different USB port when this happens but no luck or change. If we reset the machine, then after it re starts we only get a black sctreen with a cursor and no movement form it. When I shut it down by holding the power switch, after the POST screen I get this following message:
"The last attempt to resume system from its previous location failed. Attempt to resume again?
(use the arrow keys to highlight your choice.)
Continue with system resume
Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu.

I think this is referring to coming out of sleep mode. Any way when I select the last choice, its starts up and work fine. Until it goes into sleep mode for a long time it does not come out just a froze cursor. For some reason short periods of sleep it comes out OK

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:04 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If it's only a sleep mode problem... My only suggestion is the RAM is actually bad.

I had a build which would do a constant reboot loop when it went to sleep. I replaced the power supply first, no luck. Then the motherboard. Nope. I knew it couldn't be the CPU because winning a dead CPU is like winning the lottery (the lower payout one anyway). I looked at RAM and ran Memtest but it had no problems. Then it dawned on me that the RAM was probably having trouble retaining state in the low power mode. Sent it back for replacement and what came back worked just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:33 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Is it worth trying to remove 1 stick at a time? I have 2, 4 gig modules. Or would it be better to temporarily borrow 2 identical ones from my boy's PC. They have the same MOBO, CPU and RAM, and try then in the PC that is giving me the problem with the sleep mode issue?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:09 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Sure. You could start eliminating what's causing the problem and what's not.