Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Clear side panel for Cooler Master Cosmos II case available?
PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:21 pm 

I posted this question on the Cooler Master forums and surprisingly didn't get a response. I am curious if there are any aftermarket clear side panels available for the Cooler Master Cosmos II case. I think I've seen some mod kits out there but the panel's construction seems fairly complex so I'm not really sure if that's an option (at least for me).

I've done enough aesthetic work* on the inside of my rig that I literally pull my case open from time to time just to look at all the pretty lights. I do have some semi-serious tools (dremel w/ attachments, clamps, jig saw, etc.) so I suppose if I took my time and had proper instruction I could do it myself. However, I would honestly much rather have it already to go. Can anyone help me look at pretty lights more? :P

*Primarily, my "pretty lights" consist of the following: Along with a couple of ubiquitous LED fans, I have a Corsair H100i CPU cooler, Dual Corsair AirFlow Pros (http://youtu.be/f3ugfC6iK-o), and a Sound Blaster Z which is mounted in the Cosmos II's special "+1" vertically situated expansion card slot. Thus the awesome work that Creative put into the looks of that card will finally be fully visible! That is, if I can get a window installed! :P

A note to those who may have ever wondered: YES, there ARE both 16x and 1x PCI-e extension cables on the market! I actually had to move the sound card from in-between my two Asus GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP video cards because the top card would run 5c hotter than it's twin. It should also be noted that these extension cables may not be able to allow you to use a slot that is blocked by another card, if that is your intent/problem. The end of the cable that plugs into the slot where your card would go just sticks too far out from the slot. So buyer beware! ;)

PCI-e Extension Cable examples (via Google image search): http://bit.ly/1f6ELXD

Post subject: Re: Clear side panel for Cooler Master Cosmos II case availa
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:06 am 

Sounds like you have the needed tools. A jigsaw with correct blade makes short work of cutting a window in your side panel. Cover the side panel with masking tape to protect the surface. Buy a window kit from any of the many suppliers, xoxide, frozenpc, ect. I put a window in my old LL pc70 case, I used a kit with a trim ring. It looks oem. Well worth the effort.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:46 am 

Thanks for the reply! I'm still on the fence about modding the side panel. It's double-walled - I think for sound proofing? - but I'm sure it's do-able. Do the DIY kits allow for the extra thickness of such a beast? I guess I'm just going to have to hunker down and contact various manufacturers through their message boards. I'm still a little unsure especially since it would be a first for me. But, hey, no guts no glory, right? ;)

Here's a good place to see what I'm up against: http://archive.benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=835&Itemid=61&limit=1&limitstart=1

It truly is a beast of a case. Being in a wheelchair, it's nice to have the big handles to heave-ho it around. But there's no way I could get it up on my bench by myself. Thankfully the side door is easily removable. If I succeed in my quest, I'll have to post the results here because of the dearth of information about such a task online. There has GOT to be others that wish to do this to their Cosmos II. And I'm sure there are those who have. I just haven't found them. I think Cooler Master had some promotional side panels with windows but like I say, I have yet to get a response on their forums...

Again, thanks for the reply!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm 

Update: Just in case anyone else finds this post in their searches, I found this video of a guy putting in his own side window for the Cosmos II. It at least gives me a better idea of visualizing what's involved. I'm SO close to doing this! If I do, I will post the results here... :)

Cosmos II door window
http://youtu.be/cHIwa8DISjU