So, I picked up a Surface Pro 2 128GB the other day, but haven't opened it. I'm waiting because I want to see what else there is for options....
Here's what I need:
* Must have Windows 8 Pro (need to be able to remote desktop to other machines)
* Intel processor (anything but an Atom) so an i3 or i5 would work (but it needs to be able to support at least x86 architecture for VS 2012)
* Needs to have Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) included.
* Needs to have a full-sized USB 2.0 or 3.0 port (for transferring files)
* Would also like a Micro SD slot too
* At least a 64GB+ SSD storage
* Should have 4GB of RAM if possible
* 10" - 13" screen
* DURABLE - And it doesn't need to be a tank, but strong enough that it can handle being bumped around (I like the Surface's magnesium casing, feels very sturdy).
Other than the Surface Pro 2 that i have, is there anything else that I should look at? I tried a Dell Venue 8 Pro, but the screen was too small, and with only 32GB SSD total didn't leave much room for expansion and installing programs, and it was just too small of a screen. Plus there was no keyboard/case combo for it. No,
Basically all I plan on doing is typing, internet, email, spreadsheets, video watching, listening to music, and some light programming with VS 2012, which should work on an Intel-based processor (other than an Atom) and 2GB+ of RAM. I'm not doing serious programming on this, but need to be able to open up projects, change then, and maybe compile them if possible.
My overall budget is $1000 or less (because that's what the Surface cost me). I have about a week to make a decision whether to keep the Surface or return it. I haven't opened it and don't plan to until I decide if it's the best option. I don't care for another laptop either (too big), and as long as the tablet is 3LB or under, that is fine because my laptop is about 9 lbs and am sick of hauling it around everywhere (it's basically a workstation replacement, so it's pretty hefty in power, but also in weight and size). I'm just looking to see if there is something that I missed that is about the same as the Surface, but maybe cheaper??
I did try the Surface Pro (original) and it is cheaper, but was really concerned that the battery life was only about half that of the Pro 2.
Suggestions? Or should I just stick with the Surface?