Maximum PC

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Dual Booting windows 8 & windows xp
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:30 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

So I just picked up a Lenovo G505s.

So I did a little research and it seems this laptop does away with the old windows COA, and instead imbeds the COA key inside the bios. Anyway, I need to dual boot wndows XP, and the Windows8 it came with. I figured the way to do this was to reformat the drive completely, partitiion it, install windows XP, then finally reinstall windows 8 on a seperate partition.

Now the reinstalling windows8 part I'm a little iffy, the laptop didn't come with any discs. The only copy of windows8 I own is a "Windows 8 Pro Retail version". Would my copy of windows8 recognize the cd key in the laptop bios, and automatically make use of it?

Post subject: Re: Dual Booting windows 8 & windows xp
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If you don't need 3D graphics acceleration, then install it in a virtual machine like VirtualBox.

Dual booting is kind of a headache and I feel like you shouldn't do it unless it's an absolute must. Especially with an older OS which may not have driver support.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:21 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

I will give virtual machine a shot, reason I need windows xp is because I need to program an old Keri System lock system. I've tried to get this thing to work with newer windows, and never succeeded. Buying used windows xp laptops are out of the question, because even though they work, they're all on their last legs.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:55 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

So I've been trying to install winxp on Oracle VM VirtualBox, and keep running into issues. One on winxp cd I get the 0000221 error message...

STOP: 0xC0000221 unknown hard error
c:\winnt\system32\ntdll.dll

So I tried another CD, and get the one that says

acpi.sys is currupted
press any key to continue (at which point it just restarts, and reaches the same point)

Are the copies of windowsXP I've found just all currupted? One is an official CD from a Dell system.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:07 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Both are probably from corrupted install disks, assuming you've set up the VM correctly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:38 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

B1Gx5MurF wrote:
....it seems this laptop does away with the old windows COA....

Ar you sure the COA isn't in the battery compartment?

Dual booting Win8 and XP is a serious bitch. I'd do what the others have said and virtualize XP.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:27 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

LatiosXT wrote:
Both are probably from corrupted install disks, assuming you've set up the VM correctly.

I just dled the installer from oracle and ran it. When I first ran it, I pretty much just followed the recommended settings. Is there a guide for setting that up?

FascistNation wrote:
B1Gx5MurF wrote:
....it seems this laptop does away with the old windows COA....

Ar you sure the COA isn't in the battery compartment?

Dual booting Win8 and XP is a serious bitch. I'd do what the others have said and virtualize XP.

Yea, I checked with lenovo's forums, the COA is built in somehow, because of their "one key recovery" feature. TBH, I've been pretty out of this game, I think 2011 was the last time I performed a hardware upgrade, and windows8 release was the last time I performed a reformat. I rarely use a PC for anything other than scanning, browsing, emailing now. I've turned into one of those non-enthusiasts :(

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:36 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

OK, you guys were right, corrupted install disks. Found an old pack of CD-R, burned onto that, and now it looks like the install started. Fingers crossed it finishes now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:33 pm 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

OK Got windows XP working in VirtualBox now, updated, and it can browse the web. Problem now is, I can't get USB working. I already installed the extensions. This kinda sucks, USB is something i really do need, since the Keri system interface is a USB to serial cable.

Failed to attach the USB device Unknown device 1F75:0621 [0036] to the virtual machine WinXP Keri.

USB device '<unknown>' with UUID {27c4aa09-e730-4477-96ea-f5f604065057} is busy with a previous request. Please try again later.

Result Code: E_INVALIDARG (0x80070057)
Component: HostUSBDevice
Interface: IHostUSBDevice {173b4b44-d268-4334-a00d-b6521c9a740a}
Callee: IConsole {8ab7c520-2442-4b66-8d74-4ff1e195d2b6}

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

A USB<->Serial? Does it show up as a virtual com port or is this some proprietary thing? Because if it's a virtual com port you can just get a replacement from various computer outlets.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:42 am 
Team Member Top 1000
Team Member Top 1000

Seems getting USB stuff to work is just a roll of a dice. I have a generic thumb drive that works fine, but then my 2.5" HD enclosure won't work at all, even though it's fine in win8. I have a USB-serial cable from radio shack that won't work. I ended up getting a belkin usb-serial cable to work by installing this generic driver http://www.mct-us.com/index.php?_Page=p ... 65&_lang=E

I did finally managed to get the virtualbox windows xp to communicate with the Keri System access system. Thanks for all the help guys, this stupid programmable locking system was driving me crazy, it'd only work with winxp systems, and my winxp laptop finally died. I bought another winxp off craigslist for $50 a few weeks ago, just so I'd be able to get the holidays locking schedules sorted out. But that laptop was already showing signs of being on its last legs, getting it to turn on required all sorts of voodoo rituals.

What's funny is, not long after I got the serial communications working, my friend needed it to program his car's wideband o2 sensor. Another device (innovate LC1 wideband o2 sensor/controller) that refuses to be programmed unless it's through a serial port from windows xp lol