Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Suggestions for Windows 8 Pro tablet?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:54 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

So, I picked up a Surface Pro 2 128GB the other day, but haven't opened it. I'm waiting because I want to see what else there is for options....

Here's what I need:

* Must have Windows 8 Pro (need to be able to remote desktop to other machines)
* Intel processor (anything but an Atom) so an i3 or i5 would work (but it needs to be able to support at least x86 architecture for VS 2012)
* Needs to have Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) included.
* Needs to have a full-sized USB 2.0 or 3.0 port (for transferring files)
* Would also like a Micro SD slot too
* At least a 64GB+ SSD storage
* Should have 4GB of RAM if possible
* 10" - 13" screen
* DURABLE - And it doesn't need to be a tank, but strong enough that it can handle being bumped around (I like the Surface's magnesium casing, feels very sturdy).

Other than the Surface Pro 2 that i have, is there anything else that I should look at? I tried a Dell Venue 8 Pro, but the screen was too small, and with only 32GB SSD total didn't leave much room for expansion and installing programs, and it was just too small of a screen. Plus there was no keyboard/case combo for it. No,

Basically all I plan on doing is typing, internet, email, spreadsheets, video watching, listening to music, and some light programming with VS 2012, which should work on an Intel-based processor (other than an Atom) and 2GB+ of RAM. I'm not doing serious programming on this, but need to be able to open up projects, change then, and maybe compile them if possible.

My overall budget is $1000 or less (because that's what the Surface cost me). I have about a week to make a decision whether to keep the Surface or return it. I haven't opened it and don't plan to until I decide if it's the best option. I don't care for another laptop either (too big), and as long as the tablet is 3LB or under, that is fine because my laptop is about 9 lbs and am sick of hauling it around everywhere (it's basically a workstation replacement, so it's pretty hefty in power, but also in weight and size). I'm just looking to see if there is something that I missed that is about the same as the Surface, but maybe cheaper??
I did try the Surface Pro (original) and it is cheaper, but was really concerned that the battery life was only about half that of the Pro 2.

Suggestions? Or should I just stick with the Surface?

Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Windows 8 Pro tablet?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 9:39 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

You can always use TeamViewer if you need to remote in. It works just as well as Remote Desktop and it has the added benefit of working on anything that has TeamViewer available for it (I remoted in my desktop using my Android tablet, for instance).

And does it have to be a tablet? If you're doing any kind of programming, that pretty much requires a keyboard.

Anyway you have your choice of these tablets or these notebooks, as far as Newegg goes.

Chances are none of these come with Office include. In fact, most PCs don't come with Office.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:54 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Yes, I would need a keyboard. I do like how the Surface's keyboard is very slim and folds up right against the screen for easy portability.
It doesn't HAVE to be a tablet, but aside from buying a new laptop, I don't know what else I can do. I'm trying to avoid having to carry around my 9 lb laptop, but still need the RWW and Remote Desktop functionality, as well as the x86 architecture for testing software.

I'd like to stick with using RWW and REmote Desktop simply because our network is configured (the security, for that matter) to use those services, and I Have others that use those services as well so I really don't want to go changing the network. I think I may just stay with the Surface, since I have yet to find a suitable alternative that is less expensive enough (like more than $100 less than the Surface). I just wish the Dell Venue had a little more power and a bigger screen (even the 11" model doesn't have everything I need--like the full size USB port, or even a mini or micro port--because their port is for transferring data to a PC, and does not support connecting flash drives or external storage devices--or I would have forgone the i3/i5 and just went with that because those were about half the price of the Surface).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:32 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

TeamViewer doesn't require any network changes, and I've often had more success on that than fiddling around with Remote Desktop (like for instance, trying to remote in a Windows 7 machine to a Windows 8 machine, or vice versa). But it's just another tool to consider.

As far as the laptop weight issue goes, most of them don't exceed 6 pounds these days. May not be much from 9, but it's certainly lighter. But you may as well stick with the Surface Pro 2 at this point, nobody else really comes close.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:29 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks for the input. i decided to stay with the Surface Pro 2. Although it is a 2lb $1000 computer essentially, it was still a little cheaper than the others out on the market that offered the same features (like the Sony and Acer). And considering I didn't want an Atom processor, my options were pretty much at around $900+ for something. It's not perfect, but for the next 2-3 years it should be fine. At least I got the updated 4300U processor and not the older 4200U (a 300 Mhz boost) so while it's not much, at least it's a nice surprise to get a little something extra (since most of my work will be processor-intensive, and not so much video intensive).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:30 am 
Willamette
Willamette

Thanks for the input. i decided to stay with the Surface Pro 2. Although it is a 2lb $1000 computer essentially, it was still a little cheaper than the others out on the market that offered the same features (like the Sony and Acer). And considering I didn't want an Atom processor, my options were pretty much at around $900+ for something. It's not perfect, but for the next 2-3 years it should be fine. At least I got the updated 4300U processor and not the older 4200U (a 300 Mhz boost) so while it's not much, at least it's a nice surprise to get a little something extra (since most of my work will be processor-intensive, and not so much video intensive).

That and not many had a full-sized USB 3.0 port, which I'm starting to like and am happy I decided to go with it, for that and the external display option (DisplayPort). Most of the others only had a micro SD card slot for external storage. That was Not going to work for me.