Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Microsoft and the A-La-Carte method
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:18 am 
Willamette
Willamette

So we recently picked up a Surface Pro 2 for work, and really like this thing. Except for the fact that all accessories (except the stylus) are extra. I would think that after spending $1000 on a tablet PC, that they would just throw in the $100 keyboard with it or increase the total price to $1050 and include it.... Sure, Apple doesn't include one automatically but their tablet isn't $1000 either. My point is that with that kind of money being spent, a keyboard or at least a case being included should be part of the package.

I just think that a bare tablet for $1000 without any accessories is a bit much. Granted it is essentially a portable computer, it just bothers me that everything these days has to be a-la carte with most companies. Sometimes it helpful (so you aren't buying things you don't need), but they should at least provide an option for getting the tablet and a keyboard for slightly more (but less than buying them separately).

Post subject: Re: Microsoft and the A-La-Carte method
PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:57 am 
Team Member
Team Member

My dad bought our first PC in the 90s and the PC+keyboard+mouse was ~$800+. The monitor was an extra ~$200 or so. The prices might be exaggerated a bit since I can't remember. Basically, the other main component to run a PC was sold separately.

In your case, the whole thing works as is. The keyboard is optional. It is first a tablet, then a laptop, according to how MSFT promoted the Surface.

I honestly did not understand why smartphones can sell around $600 until I realized they were mini computers. New tech will always be expensive.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:33 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Smartphones selling for $600 is kind of baloney when you realize that they sell cellularless PMPs based on said smartphones for a fraction of the cost.

Not to mention Nexus 5 is $350 and is a pretty high-end smartphone.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
Smartphones selling for $600 is kind of baloney when you realize that they sell cellularless PMPs based on said smartphones for a fraction of the cost.

Not to mention Nexus 5 is $350 and is a pretty high-end smartphone.

That's the price they sell for, or at least when they were the hot new item.

My point was that early adopters will spend a good bit of money. I think even the early consumer PCs for the 70s and 80s did not even come with storage media options and other goodies. Those were extra.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:29 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I think we're deviating from OP's concern.

Anyway, the problem here is that when a peripheral is optional, you can't really please everyone. You can include it with the unit and up the cost (which nobody wants, like in the case of the Xbox One) or marginalize your profits (which your stakeholders won't like since they care about bottom line). Plus the fact that the cover comes in multiple colors. Sure you can throw in a default black/dark gray one, but if I went out and bought the color that I wanted, now I have an unused peripheral (and waste). I could have a back-up, but that's not the point. So at the end of the day, non-essential peripherals are on the sidelines. Every company does this, not just Microsoft. Does it suck? Yes. But the Surface Pro 2 is a niche product, if I wanted to spend $1000 on a portable PC, then I'd just get a laptop.

Also, comparing the Surface Pro to most other tablets is not a very good comparison. The Surface Pro 2 is basically a full on x86 PC in a tablet formfactor. The iPad is running a mobile processor on a mobile OS, which has limited functionality. Sure, the iPad is cheaper, but it can't replace a MacBook. The Surface Pro can replace your every day work computer.

On an aside, the Surface Pro 2 has a USB port. So honestly, even if I wanted a keyboard on the unit, I'd just plug in a passive USB hub and plug in my own peripherals.