Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bios compatiblity for 3 and 4 tb drives
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:47 pm 

I'm looking into buying a WD black 3tb or 4 tb drive. To use as my master HD. I've heard and read there could
be compatibility issues with bios. My PC I built isn't the newest , but works well for all my needs.

Lynnfield i5 750 1156 socket
8gb of gskill ram DDR3
Mobo- ASROCK P55 PRO (bios version displayed by CPU-Z : P2.00)
two 6970s in crossfire
A win 7 upgrade OS from Windows XP

Post subject: Re: Bios compatiblity for 3 and 4 tb drives
PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:59 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/bios.html

Mostly this is an issue if you're trying to boot from the drive and you've formatted it as GPT.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:57 am 
Coppermine
Coppermine

I think you're on to something if you're concerned about using a 3TB drive as your boot drive (I'm taking that's what you mean when you say Master HD).

Because BIOS is legacy software, it has issues identifying HDDs larger than ~2TB. I believe what actually occurs is the HDD is recognized, but the size of the drive is truncated to the maximum BIOS can recognize.

I found THIS ARTICLE which provides some detail. In the article it states: "you can boot Windows from a 3TB drive only if it's 64-bit Vista or 64-bit Windows 7--and then, only if you have a PC with an EFI/UEFI BIOS."

I looked at ASRock's website for the motherboard you mentioned and I do not believe it has the newer BIOS. Perhaps, someone else can confirm.

And I should warn you that one other frustrating thing I noticed with larger HDDs is that Windows 7 cannot use the drive for backup & restore process (this has to do more with the way Win7 saves data as opposed to the mere size of the drive).

Now, all is not lost. You can use the drive as a storage device. And while I haven't tried it, you may be able to partition the drive and use one part as your boot drive and the other as a "D" drive.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:39 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I've used a GPT formatted drive to store and use a system image from the backup and restore process.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:21 pm 
Thunderbird
Thunderbird

While the P55 chipset could support the GPT format it does not support it unless the MB maker added the support. Your MB first came out in Aug. 2009. I see no BIOS update that added or tweaked larger drive formats added later. Nor do I see any mention of this support pf EFI or GPT or Advanced 4k format, or drives greater than 2Tb in either the specs or manual.

Windows requires the EFI based BIOS to support GPT and yours does not look like it uses EFI (though it may). Even if it does I see no indication of support for drives larger than 2Tb by ASRock.

I am not optimistic especially where a boot drive is desired.

Updating the BIOS (before OS install), SATA drive controllers (download from controller maker JMicro?), chipset drivers and OS up to date will give you the best shot. HDD firmware up to date as well though usually an update is not available for most drives. If two SATA controllers exist try both.

There is a pretty fair chance Linux would support booting from a P55/BIOS based 3-4Tb GPT formatted drive.