Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: recommended CPU specs for Media Server/Blu-Ray streaming
PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:33 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

What processor specs should I look for when rebuilding my media server, which is primarily used to stream (via a wired network) blu-ray content, audio, regular DVD content, and pictures (so Blu-Ray is the most memory/processor intensive task, other than backkups of client PCs).

Reason is that I have a spare Core 2 Duo E7500 sitting around, and read some where that for Blu-Ray streaming, you want at least a 2.5 GHz dual core. I already have the drives, and have a basic ATX board for the CPU (nothing fancy, but it has 10/100/1000 Ethernet, holds 4GB of RAM, and plenty of SATA ports, which is the two primary things I need for this computer). It will be running Windows Home Server 2011 for now (although I may move to Windows Server 2012 Standard in a year or so).

So basically I'm needing to serve data to 5 devices (3 are PCs, 1 is a laptop, and the other is a PS3). Not really all at the same time, but I may want to watch a blu-ray on the PS3 while backing up or letting someone else listen to MP3s on the laptop (for example). Will the Core 2 Duo be fine for this? The drives i have are standard SATA drives, but they have 32MB or 64MB of cache, but they are SATA 3.0Gbps drives.

Is there anything else I should be concerned about? I'm upgrading from a little Atom board I had, so this is a pretty decent upgrade for this server. I just want to make sure the Core 2 Duo has enough power to multi-task and serve up to 3 devices at any given time. I normally would go buy an i3 or something, but then i'd have to get a new board and memory and that's a bit more than I want to spend right now. I can see getting a used Core 2 Duo processor (like an E8400 or something for now if needed because getting a new board/cpu/memory would run me about $300 and I don't want to spend that much). But at the same time, I want this server unit to be fairly power efficient, and I think the E7500 is a 65watt CPU, which is fine I guess. I don't want anything more than that, though, and I don't really think I need a dual core, because this is not going to be doing any encoding or anything like that--just serving up data and blu-rays.

Post subject: Re: recommended CPU specs for Media Server/Blu-Ray streaming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:38 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

What you have should be fine. I the only real bottle neck here is your network interface and possibly the storage if things get loaded. As far as Of goes... I found that PS3 Media Server works beautifully and honestly you don't need a "server" OS for this job. I guess if you need to remote in, but you also have Team Viewer for that...