Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Android OS image I can run in VMware?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:00 pm 
Willamette
Willamette

Is there a pre-built Android OS image I can run in VMware to emulate a tablet? I'm going to start working on a few Android apps for work, and want to be able to test them (without using my actual tablet, since I don't want to worry about losing or messing up the tablet or my data on the tablet).

So, I'd like to run it in a VM with VMware (on Windows 7). I'd like to run both Android 3.x and 4.x for testing purposes (because I think most devices have at least 3.x installed, except for the really cheap tablets that may still have 2.3 or something, but I'm not targeting versions prior to 3.x).

Post subject: Re: Android OS image I can run in VMware?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:42 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

VMWare can only run virtual machines that are of the x86 family. It does not virtualize or emulate any other architecture.

If you're doing Android development, you're supposed to get the SDK from https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html which comes with an emulator. And you should have Android hardware anyway since an emulator can do only so much.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:00 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

Or you can get Android X86

https://code.google.com/p/android-x86/downloads/list

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:07 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

That might work, but the problem is that if you're doing development work for anything, you should be developing on the target as much as possible. If you don't develop on target, you may run into issues that you never encountered and may require serious tweaking of the software to get it to behave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:19 pm 
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000
Bitchin' Fast 3D Z8000

That doesn't make much difference... it's not like your code is going to be arch dependent

Think of it as writing 32 bit apps on a 64 bit machine.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:13 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Except most Android tablets are ARM based and even then, you have to take into consideration that not every SoC uses the same exact hardware configuration. Even the designing 32-bit apps in a 64-bit environment doesn't help. If we take Windows for example, it's reasonable to assume a 32-bit program wasn't compiled with the LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE flag since it's opt-in. Thus, in a 64-bit environment, your program crashes once it hits 2GB of memory use. This won't happen in 32-bit Windows (as far as I know).

In other words, sure, you can get the high level stuff done in an emulator/simulator/VM, but you should really program on target so the program behaves and performs as you expect it to. It'd be like designing a website and using only Chrome to make sure it works and expect the same results on other browsers (sure the basic layout might work, but something else may not work as expected).