Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Surge Protector
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:48 pm 

Hey folks,

Any suggestions for a couple of good surge protectors? I don't need battery back up or anything fancy.

I mainly want one for my new home theater setup. I'm also gonna put one on my computer setup. I realize that if lightning strikes or something really severe happens, it won't matter, but I would like something to protect against power line surges.

Mainly just want to add a bit of protection for my new bigscreen LCD.

Thanks,

Dave

Post subject: Re: Surge Protector
PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am 
Boy in Black
Boy in Black

If lighting strikes, it does matter. If power dips into brown, that matters too. Both kill your expensive hardware, so you need to elevate your level of care.

I use active UPS' on both computer and Home Entertainment because it doesn't exist with power strips and is more on the house wiring. Protect your $5,000 equipment with something with a brain. The cheapest I can say is the APC XS1500 which goes for about $200 retail. I also us APC SmartUPS 3000 for the computer room which is probably 1/4 of the investment it's keeping up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:31 pm 

maximumdave wrote:
Any suggestions for a couple of good surge protectors? I don't need battery back up or anything fancy.

Any protector that would stop, block, or absorb a surge means that surge voltage increases as necessary to blow through the protector. Those adjacent and often grossly undersized protectors are for a type of surge that typically does not do damage.

A surge is electricity. If an incoming path exists, then an outgoing path also exists ... simultaneously. If a surge is incoming to that protector, then same current is also outgoing into adjacent electronics. A surge too tiny to damage electronics can destroy an undersized protector. That increases sales by getting the naive to recommend that undersized protector.

Effective protection means even direct lightning strikes without damage - even to a protector. Destructive surges seek earth ground. Either that current is earthed BEFORE entering the building. Or that current hunts for earth destructively via all appliances. If any appliance needs that protection, then every appliance needs that protection.

Facilities that cannot have damage (ie teleco switching centers) never put protectors adjacent to electronics. Critical is the distance from protector to earth - a low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meter') connection to earth. To increase protection, that telco wants up to 50 meter separation between protector and electronics. That increased separation increases protection.

But again, no protector does protection. Either a protector connects a surge harmlessly and low impedance (ie 'less than 3 meter') to earth. Or the protector is a profit center.

How often do you need surge protection? Destructive surges occur typically once every seven years. A number that can vary even in the same town. A number even affected by geology.

Any wire that enters the building must first connect to a single point earth ground. Either directly (ie cable TV, satellite dish). Or via a ‘whole house’ protector (ie telephone, AC electric). If any wire enters without meeting that requirement (including the short distance to ground), then all protection is compromised.

All appliances already contain robust protection. Your concern is the rare transient that can overwhelm that protection. That type of surge must be earthed BEFORE it enters the building. Otherwise that surge goes hunting for earth destructively via household appliances. ‘Whole house’ surge protection has been done for over 100 years in any facility that cannot have damage.

A protector only connects a surge current to what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules (how many joules does that adjacent protector claims to absorb?). Protection is defined by the system component that absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. That is the most important component in every protection system - single point earth ground. Then everything is protected.

Two completely different devices are defined. An adjacent protector is completely different from another device also called a protector – a ‘whole house’ protector. Only the latter makes the low impedance (ie ‘less than 3 meter’) connection to earth.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:30 pm 
Million Club - 5 Plus
Million Club - 5 Plus

maximumdave wrote:
Hey folks,

I mainly want one for my new home theater setup. I'm also gonna put one on my computer setup. I realize that if lightning strikes or something really severe happens, it won't matter, but I would like something to protect against power line surges.

Mainly just want to add a bit of protection for my new bigscreen LCD.

Thanks,

Dave

Tripp-Lite ISObar.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_ ... e%20ISObar