RAM: Corsair Vengeance pro (2x4GB)
Graphics: Asus GTX 770
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: Western Digital Black 2TB
DVD drive: LG DVD writer
Wireless card: TP-LINK N450
Case: Cooler Master HAF X
PSU: Corsair AX860

I installed everything, and turned on the computer. It started up and displayed the motherboard symbol, then went to an American Megatrends screen that said that there was a new CPU, and a CPU fan error. It went to the BIOS. I turned the computer off, and started it back up again. The fans started (including the CPU fan) and nothing was displayed on screen. The boot_device_led was on, and I think an A2 QCODE. I put windows install disc in and started again. The same result. I realized that I had forgotten to install the speaker. With the speaker installed, it beeped once than later had one long beep followed by four short beeps, indicating a hardware component failure. Eventually the beeps stopped happening when I turned the computer on, and none of the Q LEDs turned on at all meaning the POST stopped before it checked the CPU. There was a 00 QCODE. This continued to happen no matter what I did. I took the Windows install disc out, and instead the computer turned on then back off right away. I tried adjusting whatever I could, I switched CPU power wires, removed components, loosening screws, etc. I finally decided to check the CPU, there was no thermal paste on anything, but the CPU, and no bent pins. I decided to remove the motherboard and try to start it with it outside the case, and only the CPU, CPU cooler, and PSU installed. I turned it on, and it just went on then off.

Is there any thing I can do for this board, or do I need to get a new one?

Post subject: Re: Computer turns on then off
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:28 pm 
Coppermine
Coppermine

It sounds like your doing the proper troubleshooting. Don't give up just yet.

Quote:
I decided to remove the motherboard and try to start it with it outside the case, and only the CPU, CPU cooler, and PSU installed. I turned it on, and it just went on then off.

You need 1 stick of RAM, too. Speaking of, RAM could be the culprit so if you have some known good RAM available, try 1 stick of that first.

Same goes for PSU - a failing or faulty PSU could give you wonky results.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:53 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

I blame the PSU first for power related issues... if only because in my experience that's what always caused power related issues.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

You said there was a CPU fan error. Could it be that you plugged the CPU fan in another fan header instead of the CPU-fan header? I'm not sure but maybe the bios checks if there is a fan plugged into the CPU fan header.