Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Does Norton AV Cause BSOD?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:57 pm 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Hello;

After a couple BSOD I posted my dmp file over to sevenforums.com for analysis. They came back with the following:

Quote:
Your Symantec/ Norton NIS/ N360 driver seems to be causing problems, please remove Norton with the Norton Removal Tool, and then install and run full scans with these free and proven alternatives which work best with Windows 7 due to their compatibility and lightweight nature on system resources.

This was not unexpected as I have encountered something similar in the past but thought it was solved by now.

I'm looking for a second opinion as to Norton causing system instability. I've not been able to find much reading on the web. It's not that I don't believe what I'm being told, I just wanted to double check it. It seems weird that Norton would be causing BSOD - I would expect to hear much more internet rage on it if the problem were wide spread?

Post subject: Re: Does Norton AV Cause BSOD?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:46 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

I have in the past seen it play not so nice with a few systems, and for no reason at all. Removing it would clear the system up and no problems at all. Remember they cannot write software for every possible combination out there. There is always an off chance that someone someone where will have a hardware/software combination that it will not like.

That being said, it is very simple to see if it is the cause of your issues, make a restore point, uninstall it using their removal program and then CCleaner to remove any crud left over. Use your system like you would for a little bit and see if the BSOD comes back. If not you have found the culprit. If you still have BSODs then you need to run some more trouble shooting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:23 am 

Logun wrote:
Hello;

After a couple BSOD I posted my dmp file over to sevenforums.com for analysis. They came back with the following:

Quote:
Your Symantec/ Norton NIS/ N360 driver seems to be causing problems, please remove Norton with the Norton Removal Tool, and then install and run full scans with these free and proven alternatives which work best with Windows 7 due to their compatibility and lightweight nature on system resources.

This was not unexpected as I have encountered something similar in the past but thought it was solved by now.

I'm looking for a second opinion as to Norton causing system instability. I've not been able to find much reading on the web. It's not that I don't believe what I'm being told, I just wanted to double check it. It seems weird that Norton would be causing BSOD - I would expect to hear much more internet rage on it if the problem were wide spread?

Hello nsvander,

Sorry for the trouble. That's odd!

I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team. Do you remember the STOP error and the file mentioned in the BSOD screen? If so, please let me know the details so I can check.

Do you have any other security products installed on your computer? Running more than one security products may often cause conflicts and results in problems like BSOD.

Thanks!

Viineeth

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:16 am 
Team Member
Team Member

I'm not the OP, and i'm not the one having troubles!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:46 am 
Little Foot
Little Foot

Quote:
Hello nsvander,

Sorry for the trouble. That's odd!

I am Vineeth and I am from the Norton Support team. Do you remember the STOP error and the file mentioned in the BSOD screen? If so, please let me know the details so I can check.

Do you have any other security products installed on your computer? Running more than one security products may often cause conflicts and results in problems like BSOD.

Thanks!

Viineeth

Hi OP here;

No sorry I don't have any of that off hand, but it may be in the file I attached to the sevenforums post. I tried to upload it here but MaximumPC doesn't like zip files.

This is my post and the resulting discussion over the BSOD

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-su ... -each.html

This would be the second time I've had an issue with BSOD and been told it was an issue related to Norton (From 1.5 years ago):
http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-su ... r-irq.html