Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Custom Built Laptops
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:19 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hey all, haven't had/built a new computer in YEARS and used to be quite active here. My old rig took a crap on me and have just utilized tablets/mobile phone but still need a computer for some stuff. Loved building desktops and still have a badass monitor but laptops are just so powerful nowadays and I've always loved the portability. With that said, I used to know the iBuyPower.com had great deals and had pretty good reputation. I priced out a system on there that I thought looked decent and it was around/just under $2000 depending on the processor.

Questions:

What are some good "build your own laptop" online places to check out?

What's the best bang for the buck specs wise with mobile computing now?

I noticed on some of the builds that the GTX mobile video cards are kind of standard, are they decent? Will they get the job done?
I also noticed that the difference in processors are still kind of the same, cashe size, frequency etc. Is there a big difference between a 6MB/8MB cache to justify the price bump?

Any insight or help would be appreciated. Thanks guys!

Post subject: Re: Custom Built Laptops
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:28 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

And kind of to elaborate since I'm looking, what is a good balance for price?

For instance, go with the 770 or 780 video card or the different processor options? Like, more power on the video card or more power on the processor. A $300 difference on the video card is a lot. I just need help distributing the money for the best paired specs.

And then the hard drives. I've always just used SATA 7200RPM drives and have no experience with SSD... Go with smaller capacity SSD (would like to have AT LEAST 100GB+) or for the same price go with the 500GB+ 7200 RPM drives? I need help lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:10 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

If this is for gaming, then the GPU has more weight. If it's something like video editing then the CPU should have more weight.

As for best bang for the buck? Laptops are all over the damn place. I have an ASUS G750 that costs the same as the entry level 15" Mac Book Pro, but the G750 will kick that Mac Book Pro's rear spec wise. Heck I think even the higher end ultrabooks are in the same price range but perform worse. However, what both of those laptops do have that mine doesn't is battery life (although I do get 5 hours and some change on mine). In any case, laptops are about the only thing were you should just get what you can afford. At least GPU wise.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Okay, so aside from all the little menial things I could do with a $500 laptop, like internet, iTunes etc, I'd be back to my having roots and wanting the best performance for that. 16GB RAM and the beefier video card over the processor with the higher Ghz and more memory cache...?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:06 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to do some gaming, spend more money on a GPU. You don't really need any more RAM than 8GB though... but they'll probably throw in more anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 am 
Team Member
Team Member

LatiosXT wrote:
Like I said, it depends on what you want to do with it. If you're going to do some gaming, spend more money on a GPU. You don't really need any more RAM than 8GB though... but they'll probably throw in more anyway.

Okay so gaming will be the main focus. Go with the base CPU choice, 8GB of RAM, and just max out the video card and throw a dart at the wall as far as picking a hard drive! Got it!