Quantcast

Maximum PC

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re-ordering internal hard drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:25 am 

The hard drive I have in my CD bay shows up before my C:\ drive. How do I re-order my internal drives?

The hard drive I have in my CD bay contains two partitions. A drive D:\ which has the boot folder and was somehow created automativally during installation and a drive E:\ that contains all my backups. My drive C:\ is my OS drive and is the primary internal drive to my laptop (i.e. in the body of the laptop, not the CD bay). When my enterprise auditing software scans my laptop to make sure my C:\ drive is encrypted it flags me as out of compliance. This is presumably because it just scans for the boot drive which in my case is D:\ and not the drive with the OS on it.

The work around is for me to remove the drive in my CD bay and rescan my laptop. Since there is no boot drive any longer, the software shows my in compliance.

So, is there a way to re-order my drives so that my OS drive shows up as my first drive.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Re-ordering internal hard drives
PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:31 am 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Control Panel -> System and Security -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management (run this as an administrator) -> Storage -> Disk Management (Local) -> Right click on the partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths..."

Make sure no programs are using something in that partition, otherwise bad things could happen.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:16 pm 
Team Member Top 250
Team Member Top 250

Location: Sittin' downtown at the railway station, one toke over the line.
Will it still boot if you change the drive letter of the boot code location? How does the hand off work? Yeah, I'm gonna do a web search and find out as soon as I post this.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:15 pm 
Smithfield
Smithfield

Just remove the bootloader's drive letter. It's not supposed to have one anyway. As long as it's marked as active, it'll be fine.